What ever happened to the video of the man supposedly heating a piece of fabric

StaplesStaples Regular
edited July 2010 in Life
'..with his mind'

It was a video showing the man moving his hand around the cloth until it began steaming, and there was also an infrared camera showing the temperature changes..

1. It is very easy to create chemical reactions
2. it is very easy to make those chemical reactions appear as something more by lying to your audience, eg. magic
3. has anyone else seen this video?

Comments

• AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    I bet he couldn't beat the James Randi Challenge.
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited July 2010
  • ZaffronZaffron Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    I'm pretty sure you are referring to some master of some martial art/spiritual ki/chi or something or other, and he was supposedly manipulating his body to give off heat and send it into the cloth or some shit
  • StaplesStaples Regular
    edited July 2010
  • KillSwitchKillSwitch New Arrival
    edited July 2010
    Staples wrote: »
    '..with his mind'

It was a video showing the man moving his hand around the cloth until it began steaming, and there was also an infrared camera showing the temperature changes..

1. It is very easy to create chemical reactions
    2. it is very easy to make those chemical reactions appear as something more by lying to your audience, eg. magic
    3. has anyone else seen this video?

I remember seeing this one, but can't remember what show it was on.
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I remember seeing it, I'm pretty sure it was proven to be fake.
  • weathersweathers Regular
    edited July 2010
  • ateate Acolyte
    edited July 2010

Tumo is a real discipline, but it is not magic.

If you are interested in trying it yourself, do the following.

1. Sit cross legged with your spine straight.

2. Relax your arms, hands feet and legs as profoundly as you can. This will open up the capillaries in the skin if done well. Just relaxing, again this takes no magic.

3. Now, pull your stomach in all the way while exhaling. This should make your stomach muscles very tight, but keep the rest of you, the parts not being used, relaxed. The tightening of your diaphragm, intercostal muscles and abdominal muscles will cause your metabolic rate to rise, due to the work preformed.

4. Keeping you abdominal muscles tight, draw a deep breath in, you will feel yourself working hard to draw this breath, as your diaphragm overpowers your abdominal muscles. You will feel increased blood pressure as well, which is why your hands and feet must be relaxed. (arms and legs as well.)

5. Breath slowly as to not hyperventilate. But take deep, full breaths, with the air going all the way in and pushing the last of the air you can out with force on each exhalation.

Do this for a minute to get a feel of real warming, five minutes to get up to a good clip warmer than average.

At about half an hour, if you keep going, you will be able to do what the monks in the video did, making the damp cloth steam.

It is best to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth, but mouth breathing or breathing only through the nose nose works too.

:)

It works. have fun.

Remember, before you think your cool...

These monks do it for up to eight hours at a time.

http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/comfy.html