simunition

ScuDScuD Regular
edited March 2011 in Man Cave
This tech looks pretty cool, it works with most lightly modifies regular issue weapons.

i have never served, and i am wondering how this advancement might make any difference in effectively training a human being for combat.

what did you guys train with?

Comments

• buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    ScuD wrote: »
    This tech looks pretty cool, it works with most lightly modifies regular issue weapons.

i have never served, and i am wondering how this advancement might make any difference in effectively training a human being for combat.

what did you guys train with?

Air force, I wouldn't give those fuckers a pellet gun.

Not really new advancement either, been in use for a fuck of a long time.

Also the weapons aren't just lightly modified, (well they are but) The are dedicated simunitions rifles, the m16/ar15 is a gas powered rifle, since the sim round is lighter than a normal round and takes less of a charge to fire they use a lighter bolt. Also the magazines are different so it will not accept a mag that will fire real live kill your ass ammo. Also the blue fore grip so you can tell at a glance that it is a sim weapon.
  • ScuDScuD Regular
    edited March 2011
    how long has this been around?

i met a guy who served in the Canadian military in the pathfinders. he said that they used their c-7's and all they did was change some parts?

paint ball hurts. this must fucking kill.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited March 2011
    It would be fun to play paintball with that shit.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    ScuD wrote: »
    how long has this been around?
    In the late 1980s, General Dynamics-Ordnance and Tactical Systems-Canada Inc. (GD-OTS Canada), headquartered in Le Gardeur, Canada, recognized a growing need in the military and law enforcement communities for more realistic training. In response, six innovative training munitions were developed under the trademark Simunition® – known as the world’s most realistic training system.

Source
  • acid_dropacid_drop Regular
    edited March 2011
    We got a taste of this In RIP training. They used to use the lazer bs as current units do, but RIP and (as far as I know) most airborne units went to it at as well.

It's not a bad system, the drop is much more severe than the actual round but not a laser like the old system. You feel it hit, it's not a button. even under armor you still feel it.

YOu save your ears, give soldiers real combat situations and reactions, it works. That's all I will say. It works a hell of a lot better than the laser tag bs. They get trajectory up, it will be the perfect battle simulator.

As of now though, at least we train with moving targets. 20 years ago, all targets were stationary.

EDIT: Also, we had simulated urban environments, where high ranking troopers are the enemy. A few months ago ago at drill I got to be one of the enemy, it was fucking awesome. I shot and killed 3 before I got slaughtered by a SAW gunner and his comrade. Pro-tip of the week: Dont walked around in exposed areas like a moron. I will shoot you dead.