Headlights won't turn on

zerozerozerozero Acolyte
edited July 2010 in Man Cave
Alright, here's my problem.

I have a 1987 Chevy Celeb. It's in overall good shape, but it has one major issue; the headlights won't turn on. I've already checked the fuses and none of them are blown. The brights turn on fine, which is what I have been using for a couple months now, but last night I got pulled over and got a warning, so now I assume that stupid fucking pig is on the look-out for my car so he can get himself a nice ticket to jack off over.

Anyway, does anyone know what the problem might be? I don't think they're burned out...but I don't really know how to check either, I know nothing about this side of cars. I think for a brief period about a month ago the dims actually turned on instead of the brights when the knob was in the brights position, but that only lasted for 1 or 2 cruises.

When I put the knob in the dim headlights position, all the lights turn on except for the headlights.

Any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    I am not an expert when it comes to cars but here is what I would if it happened to me.
    A) Look up the manual and see which fuse controls the light.
    B) The manual should have some guide on changing the headlights or checking the if the lights works.
    C) I would narrow down the possibilities. In your case I would blame the knob. Google some how-to repair guides related to your car. I am sure you find plenty of material.

Sorry, I couldn't help you more :(.
  • muffinsmuffins Regular
    edited July 2010
    HEy Godfrey its the dimmer switch man. They cost about 10 bux and are readily available. If you feel like doin it yourself its located towards the bottom of the steering column on the left side. Its two 7mm bolts and one plug. The only difficult part is adjusting it which isnt to hard just snug the bolts and slid switch up until the switch lever will click it on and off. go to http://www.autozone.com/autozone/myzone/profile/membershipBenefits.jsp for repair instruction

If you dont wanna do it yourself go to your local high scholl and ask the auto shop teacher if his class could replace the part, theyll do it for nothing most times

If ya need any help hit me up on msn im in your list already

38192950.jpg
  • zerozerozerozero Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the replies.

Muffins, I tried to go to that site you linked but it put me into an endless loop of being logged out/logging back in and not being able to get to the article
  • muffinsmuffins Regular
    edited July 2010
    Godfrey wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Muffins, I tried to go to that site you linked but it put me into an endless loop of being logged out/logging back in and not being able to get to the article

sorry man go to www.autozone.com , enter vehicle info, selct lighting on the left then dimmer sitch the repair link ison the right