I just realized something interesting about my credit card.

edited May 2011 in Life
So, I use a pre paid credit card for some internet stuff, seems like a good option as they can't take out what isn't there, and the charges are less than paypal. I needed a direct deposit line for some government money, so I gave them the info for the pre paid card, thus keeping my money to burn separate from my regular account, for which I do not even keep an ATM card due to occasionally waking up several hundred dollars down due to booze and stupidity.

I used it a few times over the last week for dining out and cab rides and after checking my account realized something; anything I entered in writing as a tip did not show up. Upon reading my transactions, there was only the original charge. I tip pretty good, 10-20% based on quality of service, and nothing has shown up. The card says, "for electronic transactions only", but I did not realize quite what they meant.

So, who thinks the $15 odd dollars in tips I have given over the last week will eventually be debited from my account?, which is currently at $0.60. And who thinks I have discovered a way to be a COMPLETE fucking douchebag?, and write in a nice hefty tip, only to have the accountant tell the waitress/cabdriver in question to watch out for pre paid cards. I will be sure to tip my good servers, in my most frequented restaurants, a cash tip, but as for the cab drivers, and places that gave marginal service......

C/O
"douchebaggery!, pure and unadulterated douchebaggery!"

Comments

• edited April 2011
    When I've used 'em the swiping thing will ask you if you want to tip... I guess this wasn't the case w u?
  • Hammer TankHammer Tank Regular
    edited May 2011
    you shouldn't feel guilty for not tipping someone with poor service. I don't even feel guilty (usually) for not tipping good service. fuck em. reservoirdogs.mpg

oh yea i guess i could say something relevant...... if the transactions have already cleared for the amount without tip (they have) , then i think you are just fine and they will never clear. i don't think the merchant is allowed to initiate more than one charge for a single transaction(you only signed one receipt).