Ice Cream

DaGuruDaGuru Mite
edited June 2011 in Life
Just read an interesting article about a new local hot spot for ice cream, and thought I'd see if a thread could generate some convo.

I myself have a weakness for a damn good milkshake, and make homemade ones at least once a week. Around here some places are now putting booze in milkshakes, and that doesn't interest me in the least. :eek:

My favorite flavor of ice cream has always been raspberry :thumbsup:, but after reading this article I'm willing to test the waters and try something a bit unique......

http://www.cleveland.com/taste/index.ssf/2011/05/jenis_splendid_ice_creams_brin.html

That seems a lot more fru-fru high end compared to my usual culinary choices, but I hope to check it out sometime this spring or summer and will report back with just how good it was. :D

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    I think I enjoy almost all the flavors, too bad the quality of Pakistani made Ice cream went to shit. We have some major companies that offer Ice Creams, Walls, Hico, Yummy are just few. It's pretty hot here, so I do tend to eat Ice cream from time to time. Chocolate works me most of the time. I don't mind trying new stuff.
  • DaGuruDaGuru Mite
    edited May 2011
    Dfg, I would imagine you being in a much hotter environment than most of us.....you probably enjoy this treat even more than we do. :thumbsup:

The flip side being its probably messier though... quicker melting and dripping with more effort and maintenance of your snack. :(
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    DaGuru wrote: »
    Dfg, I would imagine you being in a much hotter environment than most of us.....you probably enjoy this treat even more than we do. :thumbsup:

The flip side being its probably messier though... quicker melting and dripping with more effort and maintenance of your snack. :(

Yeah, that's one down side however, I am quick eater :p. I some time eat through a fucking jar. Honestly, I find Ice cream hard to resist, it's only my will power keeping me from consuming all that trash ice and sugars.
  • edited May 2011
    I love a really well produced (and often expensive) vanilla ice-cream, usually accompanied with some kind of pudding. I love to eat ice-cream when out in a restaurant, so if I order myself a hot desert such as an apple pie then I'll throw in some vanilla ice-cream just so the different temperatures compliment each other. Tastes awesome :D
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited May 2011
    Looks pretty good, and I am not one to baulk at paying for a decent product. I paid £18 for a burger once - it was worth it.

Its good that you posted this - it has reminded me of a farm around 20 miles away that does ice cream with unpasturised milk - you can really taste the difference. I have decided to take the Mrs there on Saturday.

I made a photo guide a little while back on making ice cream - I think things always taste better when you have had a hand in it.

http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=10934
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited May 2011
    sweet corn, lolwut? Riesling Poached Pear Sorbet sounds the best to me.
  • DaGuruDaGuru Mite
    edited May 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Looks pretty good, and I am not one to baulk at paying for a decent product. I paid £18 for a burger once - it was worth it.

Its good that you posted this - it has reminded me of a farm around 20 miles away that does ice cream with unpasturised milk - you can really taste the difference. I have decided to take the Mrs there on Saturday.

I made a photo guide a little while back on making ice cream - I think things always taste better when you have had a hand in it.

http://www.totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=10934

Damn, between that article and your guide.....I'm seriously Jones-ing here now. Fuccckkkkkkkk! :eek:

***C/O feel free to merge this thread with Doc's original thread if you think its appropriate....I only went back to page 3 to see if there was an ice cream thread already on here, and his is better/more informational to begin with.
    edited May 2011
    DaGuru wrote: »
    Damn, between that article and your guide.....I'm seriously Jones-ing here now. Fuccckkkkkkkk! :eek:

***C/O feel free to merge this thread with Doc's original thread if you think its appropriate....I only went back to page 3 to see if there was an ice cream thread already on here, and his is better/more informational to begin with.

Nah, keep them seperate - this one is generating more discussion and that one is more about making it than eating it!
  • edited May 2011
    There is a gelato joint here in van with some wacky flavors like wasabi, habanero, and about 80 flavors all told. At first it seems like you are bing overcharged, but when you realize you can sample as many as you like before deciding, it makes sense, the habanero is really fucking hot too, the roasted garlic is pretty vile though.

C/O
    "MOMMY, mommy, dig into your purse you cheap ass hosbeast and give me some money, I want some ice cream"
    edited May 2011
    There is a gelato joint here in van with some wacky flavors like wasabi, habanero, and about 80 flavors all told. At first it seems like you are bing overcharged, but when you realize you can sample as many as you like before deciding, it makes sense, the habanero is really fucking hot too, the roasted garlic is pretty vile though.

C/O
    "MOMMY, mommy, dig into your purse you cheap ass hosbeast and give me some money, I want some ice cream"

Like some of the bars here, you can try 1/3 of a pint for free on a lot of ales. Dont do it to often tho, otherwise you would look cheap (cheapskates get no privledges).

For a roasted garlic ice cream - well, the only way I can imagine it to be nice is if you slow roasted the garlic to get it sweet, roast it hot enough to get some caramelisation on it but not so hot as to burn it.

Too cold - garlic bitter, to hot, garlic bitter. Roast it up like you were frying off some onions to make a good french onion soup - you know what I mean, sweet and sulpher at the same time.

It would be an ice cream that I think I would make with only cream - sugar would hide the sweetness from the garlic and fight the bite from the sulpher compounds. I imagine it would make you fart something rotten from the sugars in well roasted garlic and the way the cream carries it.
  • TraumTraum Regular
    edited May 2011
    I get cravings for vanilla malts at least once a week haha. Can't live without ice cream. =)

A friend just showed me a snowcone stand last week that has a homemade ice cream flavored snow cone. It's freaking delicious, actually taste just like homemade ice cream.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited May 2011
    Halve a couple of cream puffs and sandwich a scoop of ice cream in the middle. Drizzle with chocolate sauce.

Thank you Thomas Keller.

Oh heres a recipe for cream puffs I post a while back if anyone wants to try it. Omit the mustard and herbs.

Alright I have to admit this was pretty hard for me since you dont have any fresh veg or proteins but heres what I got.

Stuffed savory Pate a choux(cream puff) w/creamed corn and bacon lardons

Apple raisin crisp for dessert.

For the Pate a choux:

3/4 cup water
    3oz butter
    Teaspoon salt
    1 cup flour
    1 tablespoon of your horseradish mustard
    3 eggs

combine water butter and salt and bring to a boil reduce heat to low, stir in the flour all at once and stir the shit out of it until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan, the dough should be pretty smooth and not sticking to the bottom. Keep cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes dont let the dough color.
    Transfer the dough to a mixing bowl and add the mustard and another teaspoon of salt, some chopped herbs if you have any and mix for a minute or two to let some steam escape. Add your eggs one at a time incorporating each egg completley before you add the next one. remove your dough and put it in a pastry bag if you have one or you could cut the corner off of a ziploc bag. Pipe the dough into little golfball sized shapes on a sheet pan with parchment or foil keeping in mind they are going to puff up quite a bit. Throw them in a preheated oven at 425 and cook for 10 mins then reduce your oven heat to 350 and cook for 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and pierce with a knife or toothpick to release the steam. When cool cut off the top of the puffs and save them, you will have a hollow cream puff ready to be stuffed.

• ShadyLadyShadyLady Locked
    edited May 2011
    I love ice cream & I get a frozen treat at least twice a week (ice cream, gelato or frozen yogurt). The flavor of ice cream I've been obsessed with lately is Butter Brickle. It's got toffee pieces & caramel in it & I swear it's to die for. For frozen yogurt I've been loving thin mint.
  • edited June 2011
    Best Ice-cream I've ever had was Foie-gras; sooooo amazing.

I've always wanted to try Pistachio ice cream too; I don't have much of a sweet-tooth.
  • WANWAN Regular
    edited June 2011
    For ice cream, I like Canadian maple walnut.
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited June 2011
    i saw this habenero-chocolate iced cream on food network. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I like Mole.