My USB and Sound Ports Are Fucked :(

da teachada teacha Regular
edited July 2010 in Tech & Games
Since I've came back home I've realised that I no longer have Linux, but Vista, and my sound and USB ports do not work.

I've tried installing Ubuntu and XP on the other partition, to no avail, have constantly downloaded shitloads of drivers, and even reset the CMOS battery. Still nothing.

It's a bit strange that these aren't functional, when the PS/2 and ethernet ports are working fine.

Is there any possibility that constantly turning off the PC without shutting down would cause anything like this? My uncle was using PC whilst I was away and he just takes out the plug after use.

Or is there anything else I'm forgetting?

It's fucknig shit having no music :mad:

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2010
    A) Plug some USB charger or USB stick. If it gets the power then it means it's working.
    B) Goto Intel website [assuming you're using Intel Motherboard or Intel Chipset] and download the INF update from Intel. Download and run, it will install USB drivers automatically.
    C) If that doesn't work check the BIOS and see if the USB is enabled.

The best you can do is just run some Live CD and see if the usb works. Usually Ubuntu would pickup usb thumb drivers easily.

Also, an improper shutdown WILL fuckup your Windows and it can damage your HDD in the long run.
  • NightsideNightside Regular
    edited July 2010
    Could you have possibly overloaded/fried your sonud card?
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2010
    If it turns out you fried your sound card and or on board sound, and can prove it to my satisfaction; I will for free; FedEx you an ancient, but usable sound card. PM me if that turns out to be your issue.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
    I have about 20lbs of PCI cards. If you ever need one, just PM me. I also have some ISA cards, as well as some really old VESA cards.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    I have about 20lbs of PCI cards. If you ever need one, just PM me. I also have some ISA cards, as well as some really old VESA cards.

VESA? Shit, it's been forever since I've seen one of those. Props on having a collection of useful old components. I've been upgrading friends computers for free ever since I got an i7 core, my boxes of old PC parts are useless to me :D
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2010
    If it turns out you fried your sound card and or on board sound, and can prove it to my satisfaction; I will for free; FedEx you an ancient, but usable sound card. PM me if that turns out to be your issue.

His usb ports are playing up also and they have a separate pin on the MB for the usb.
    But I've run out of usable sound cards.:D

Has the front and rear usb and sound jacks fucked up?
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited July 2010
    I was really drunk when I posted that, and didn't think about whether it was the front ports, the back ports, or both. I think I figured the two weren't related,assumed it was the back ports, thought about the old PCI sound card I have in storage, and figured I'd offer it to the OP if it turned out his (I assume) onboard sound was fried.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2010
    I was really drunk when I posted that, and didn't think about whether it was the front ports, the back ports, or both. I think I figured the two weren't related,assumed it was the back ports, thought about the old PCI sound card I have in storage, and figured I'd offer it to the OP if it turned out his (I assume) onboard sound was fried.
    Still cool you offered a sound card bru.:cool:
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited July 2010
    I still offer one. picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=5