How to determine flow rate of fluid?

1357913579 Death Cog Machine
edited June 2011 in Tech & Games
I'm in the middle of redesigning my flamethrower, and I'm going for quick disconnect small tanks/portability.

To decide what size tank to use, I'd like to use a bit of math. Problem is I suck at math.

Basically what I'm trying to determine is the time it takes for a tank of x size to expel all of a liquid (Kerosene) with x amount of pressure behind it (In this application, around 120 psi).

This is so I can get a rough estimate of the time in seconds each tank will last before having to be refilled/replaced.

I checked out wikipedia, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly. Is there a general formula for this, or anyone on here willing to help?

EDIT: I'm sure the orifice size the liquid is being sent through is required. The size of the barrel is about 1/8" diameter.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited June 2011
    This is a pretty basic question in fluid dyamics. Here is the solution step-by-step under ideal conditions:

fluid.jpg
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2011
    Holy shit, Mayberry can do Math.

:eek:
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm azn mayberrysmilie.gif

y u so serprais?
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited June 2011
    120 PSI? Fuck thats a lot of pressure for a parafin flamethrower. Mine runs at 30PSI, max I have had it too is 39PSI.

With what looks like a 1.2mm jet, running it cold I can get through around 3.5l of parafin in around 15 minutes. That is fully opening and fully closing the valve - if I leave the valve open, the coil the parafin flows through gets hot, completly vapes the parafin and I only get a small flame - although I am it is at around 1100C (2000F).

Pulsing it cold I get red / orange flames 15-20 foot.