Slow internet: check your DNS settings

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
Hey guys.
If you're unhappy with the time it takes for a page to load, it may be a good idea to check out your DNS settings.

I changed my settings to use google's DNS server and i've noticed a marked difference, despite the fact that their servers are all the way in CA and my ISPs DNS server is 50km away.

openDNS is another alternative.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    I use Google DNS all the time, one major plus of using Google DNS is that you get instant updates of nameserver changes. Thanks to Google DNS I don't have to wait hours for DNS to propagate.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2011
    ^^^^ It's different depending on your router. you change it in there.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2011
    I tried google DNS and it bombs out on me after a little while.
  • PsychotogenPsychotogen Regular
    edited July 2011
    Another thing worth mentioning is if you use cable each splitter before your modem reduces your bandwidth by half. Make sure your modem is directly into the wall.

Run a few tests at www.dslreports.com they have a few tools worth looking into.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    I tried google DNS and it bombs out on me after a little while.

I've never had any problems with it
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    Google DNS supports IPv6, if you signup now, you will get a free FUCK YOU package as well.

If you want to change your DNS, just quote my posts and mention your OS and router.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2011
    Ok my internet has been slow as fuck lately so I am trying this. I may give opendns a try as well.
  • edited August 2011
    I seem to remember that when I tried changing my DNS for a bit, my internet connection got a lot slower :( I'll stick with the default one.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited August 2011
    I improved speed by disabling IPv6 lookups in networking config at the OS. Does Google DNS only recently support IPv6? In that case would the related slowness no longer be an issue? Am I missing anything yet?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    Totse sure loads faster with Google DNS I will say that.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Jack wrote: »
    I improved speed by disabling IPv6 lookups in networking config at the OS. Does Google DNS only recently support IPv6? In that case would the related slowness no longer be an issue? Am I missing anything yet?

You're using an IPv4 tunnel to IPv6 or if your host supports it you might get to use IPv6. But I don't think it's openly implemented yet.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2011
    So far Google DNS seems to be helping. I still get a few slow times but overall I think it's better. :)
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited August 2011
    I've never had any problems with it
    Hmm....maybe they've improved their shit since I last used it. I may have to try it again. :eek: