Grandpa Buddha's Apple Pie. [Published]

buddhabuddha Regular
edited July 2011 in Life
Ok before you try this recipe you need to realize, I hate pie, mainly because of the crust. So I played around and eventually came up with an awesome crust. Make it and let me know what you think.

Apple Pie.

Ingredients for crust:
2½ cups flour
1 cup butter (real cold, not frozen)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
8 tablespoons water

Combine flour, salt, sugar
Cut in butter
Dough should look gravelly, make sure to keep the dough cool at all times, if it starts to get warm, the butter will melt, so stick it in the fridge a few times as you are working it.
Knead in water.
Separate in ½
Chill

Ingredients for filling:

½ cup butter
3 tablespoon flour
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup water
Apples (I usually just buy a bag of granny smith)

Peel core and slice apples (I usually vary the slices from a quarter inch or so to pretty thin), Roll out half of crust to about ¼" thin, and cover bottom of pie pan, fill the pie crust with the sliced apples, this is an apple pie so I usually use an excessive amount, mound the apples up pretty high since they will cook down a bit, roll out the top crust and slice into 1" wide strips, you'll need eight of these long enough to go across the pie. Lay them out evenly on the pie, 4 one way 4 the other, and weave them together (if you don't know what I mean, google it). Now in a saucepan combine butter, flour, sugar, brown sugar, and water, bring to a boil stirring constantly. Pour over entire pie, if need be use a brush to brush it on to all the top crust, the rest should end up in the pie. Now grab a handful of sugar, and sprinkle it over the top of the pie, kind of thickly.

Bake at 425° for 15 minutes then reduce heat to 350° for 35-45 minutes.

Eat
?????
PROFIT!!

If everything was done right, it should come out looking something like this. (actual pie I just made)
2011-07-16-215235.jpg
The outside edge isn't that dark, just bad lighting.

Comments