Cool fossil!

edited July 2011 in Life
My buddy found this;

img1143s.jpg

while he was out quadding. It was found at a pretty high elevation, so I think it is damn old. I'm not sure of the geological timeline for the Coast Range mountains, but for something to go from being at the bottom of a lake, to near the top of a mountain, well, it sure as shit didn't happen last Tuesday. The rock was obviously sedimentary at some point, but has become hard due to time and pressure, I think it's called metamorphic rock when that happens. Cool shit.

Anyone else got some fossils hanging around they would care to share?

C/O
"just another fossil with a fossil"

Comments

• edited July 2011
    God damn, that's awesome. The only other fossil around here is Spectral, so no pictures from me. It's really cool to think that those mountaintops used to be the bottom of a lake though - crazy thoughts man. Any idea what it might be?
  • edited July 2011
    I'm pretty sure it is what it looks like, clams, really really old clams, I wonder if they tasted good?
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited July 2011
    I found a fossil of some type of clam-like animal in Iraq. Similar to yours, CO, but it looked more like a scallop. I can't offer any pictures of it though because customs took it on my way back to the states.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited July 2011
    It is not muscles, clams or oysters or indeed any kind of shellfish, but a prehistoric tractor that tried to drive up a hill that was to steep and it fell over and died.

2kps36.jpg
  • edited July 2011
    I'm pretty sure it is what it looks like, clams, really really old clams, I wonder if they tasted good?

Of course they tasted good.
  • edited July 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    It is not muscles, clams or oysters or indeed any kind of shellfish, but a prehistoric tractor that tried to drive up a hill that was to steep and it fell over and died.

2kps36.jpg

Wow, I had better get this to the right people immediately. I'm sure a tractor museum will pay a pretty penny for something like this! I'm gonna be rich!
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2011
    Fucking lolz @ teh tractor. :D
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited July 2011
    Wow, I had better get this to the right people immediately. I'm sure a tractor museum will pay a pretty penny for something like this! I'm gonna be rich!

To be honest with you I think it would be worth a lot more if you restored it or had it profesionally restored - I am sure parts can be obtained to bring it back to its glory.

I have only ever found small inscects in fossils, but there a lot of fossilised tree trunks in museums from being dug up in coal mines. They just look like dirty lumps of tree, its amazing to think they have turned to rock. Get some good flints with quarts in around here tho.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2011
    I've found parts of shells, but only small shit. Nothing worth posting. :(
  • waffleswaffles Acolyte
    edited July 2011
    that nice you might be able to sell it depending on the size it could be worth 70 to 350.
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited July 2011
    You should get it checked by a pro for a fee. Who knows, it might be worth some big bucks.