Worst camping trip EVAR!!!

buddhabuddha Regular
edited August 2011 in Life
So Ducklips and I decided to go camping at the hot springs nearby the other night. I should have known it was going to suck balls when half way there I remembered we had forgot the flashlights, it was friday night and the sun was setting. "oh It's all right, it's friday night, there will be other people hiking down we can just follow."

We see some lightning in the distance but nothing to worry about. So we carry on driving through miles of dirtbike trails to get to the trailhead.

Couple minutes later we see lights in the distance, obviously people who had never been there before since they were on a really shitty trail, instead of the normal one cars can actually take. I turned on our flashers to guide them over, hoping to earn some brownie points and maybe they'd help us with the light thing.

They did, we hiked down there just fine, all ready kind of drunk off of boxed wine by the time we got there.

Everything was cool, we got drunk and passed out.

The next morning it was a nice sunny day, we swam in the river, drank everyones alcohol. Then I got too drunk and Ducklips ran off with a few naked gay dudes to go play on this rope swing. (That is not a metaphor/innuendo) I passed out on the beach, Naked, face up. I woke up a few hours later with the worst sunburn I have ever had. My armpits are burnt my cock'n'balls are burnt, my whole front side is burnt.

Not to mention we were going to leave that day, but it was getting late, and the trails are too weird to hike out in the dark. plus I couldn't really walk. Well it also sucked because we barely brought any extra food.

Ok that all sucks but still not that bad. So we are about out of smokes, and alcohol, and we have to camp for another night, and save what food we have for before our hike out in the morning.

We go to bed, and at about 2am it starts pouring fucking rain, oph gee guess what we didn't bring a tent. So our sleeping bags are soaked, and even though it's a warm night, the rain is ice cold. We have no choice but to go lay in the hot water to stay warm till we can hike out in the morning.

Eventually the sun comes up but it's still cloudy and pouring rain. So We are curled up together laying in the water trying to get some more sleep, and i see a flash of white, and feel a major fucking shock through my whole body. We jumped out of the water in about half a fucking second and both realize we just got an indirect lightning strike, took about 2 seconds before we heard the thunder, so it was a bit further off than you would think it would be. but when you are talking that kind of voltage, I guess it can travel pretty fucking far through water. It was intense. Took us a few before we convinced ourselves to get back in the water and out of the rain. Eventually the rain let up enough for us to pack or shit up and run over to a different hot pool with more people, who had beer and smokes. Mid afternoon the rain finally cleared, thank god for living in the desert. and we were able to hike out, slower than I ever have even crawled before.

So now I'm laying here with my skin all blistered and fucking red and swollen, probably should go to the hospital, but no.

Comments

• ducklipsducklips Regular
    edited August 2011
    hmmm despite your pain, the whole gay guys on the rope swing was fun and all the extra beer and smokes i got from them... ugh the lightening sucked ass and the whole time we were sitting in the hot water trying to keep warm i was thinking what if lightening hits the water? we would be fucked. Just as we got comfortable it happened. bah! The hike out always sucks. I should have appreciated the rain better. I do live in the desert after all. We were a day late coming home and the rain was pouring down so all i kept thinking about was the kids and our bed. I got a little burned too, not nearly as bad. Teach me to hang out with gay dudes.
  • duuudeduuude Regular
    edited August 2011
    lolz Sounds like you both got pwnt by good ole mother nature. I would have been terrified in that water.. lightning scares the hell out of me.

Also, camping with no flashlights or tent?? You guys are hardcore.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited August 2011
    duuude wrote: »
    lolz Sounds like you both got pwnt by good ole mother nature. I would have been terrified in that water.. lightning scares the hell out of me.

Also, camping with no flashlights or tent?? You guys are hardcore.

It was supposed to be just one easy night out. This is why you should always come prepared. I kind of expected rain just not that much, and it wouldn't have mattered if I hadn't got burnt and we left when we were supposed to.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited August 2011
    Where was it you camped?
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited August 2011
    camping in the rain sucks anyway. but without a tent thats even worse :thumbsdown:
  • edited August 2011
    Pretty bad, but it wasnt anything (besides the shock) that some simple preperation should of avoided happening.

Not that im organised or anything, just sayin'.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited August 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    Where was it you camped?

The hot springs near here.
    Where were your kids?

My mother was babysitting.
  • edited August 2011
    That's one crazy ass story dude. Good job the lightning strike wasn't a direct one! What lessons have you learned from this camping episode that you'll be reminding yourself of next time you go out? :D
  • DCT39DCT39 New Arrival
    edited August 2011
    Jesus man, first rule of camping: be prepared!
    Then again I did a lot of stupid camping stints when I was younger soo..:cool: