Strat style Tremolo mod

RogueEagle91RogueEagle91 Regular
edited August 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I've had several customers in the past few months ask me to block the tremolo tailpiece on their strats/similar trem systems.

If any of you have done this, you'll know it increases sustain a bit, as well as tuning. "Blocking" simply prevents the trem system from moving. It's an easy fix for anyone who likes a guitar's tone, but hates tremolos and doesn't want to replace it with a set bridge.

Well, a few days ago, one customer wanted a new bridge installed. The previous was a saddled bridge similar to a strat, but set rather than moving. He wanted it replaced with a thru bridge, without the usual tremolo. So, basically going from a set bridge to a strat bridge that's blocked.

As I didn't have an intertia/tailpiece block (the bit you put your strings through), I decided to get a little experimental. I found a piece of scrap padauk, cut and milled it to line up and attach to the bridge the same way the inertia block does. The major difference in this case is my block takes up the entire cavity space where a tremolo tailpiece would usually have maneuver room. This not only provides more resistance, but increases wood to wood contact.

The result: increased sustain, slightly brighter tone (due to wood choice), and tuning stability.

In my opinion, a wood block tailpiece provides much better tone and sustain than a traditional block of wood between a metal tailpiece and the back of the tremolo cavity.

I highly recommend trying this out, and will make/install another in the coming days with pictures to help any DIY'ers out.

One note on the wood. It must be a hard wood. That may seem obvious, but I wouldn't trust hard maple or softer. Find something with a Janka rating of at least 1600. If you don't know what that means, look it up. This will provide a stable tailpiece that wont crack or wear due to string tension over time (if milled properly).

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. If you try this out, let us know what wood you used, and how it changed your sound.