Google - The Solution to Everything

edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
Google is such a powerful tool to have access to. It literally holds information on anything you can think of, and can help you out no matter what the problem is. I just sat here trying to get my head around making a Wireless card work with Linux. A couple of Google searches later and the answer was sitting there on the screen, right in front of my face. If I was doing this without the help of Google, I'd still be racking my brains trying to get the damn thing to work, and I wouldn't be typing this thread right now. It's ability to teach you things is incredible.

What really bugs me though, is how people have so many dumb questions up their sleeves when they have the power of the Google search engine to answer them all. For example, I went to see a friend the other day who asked me a question about computers, and why his wasn't working properly. I didn't know the answer, as it was such a strange question. I asked if he'd Googled it, and he just stared blankly at me as though I'd said something wrong.

You have the tools, why not use them.

Interestingly, I don't even use Google directly - I use Scroogle to do all my searching. It scrapes Google for the answers to my search requests, without handing IP addresses over. Pretty useful stuff.

Comments

• JackJack Regular
    edited August 2011
    If my customers knew I solve most of their problems by Googling them, I'd lose some of my job security. Some. They'd still be too lazy to do it.

I don't mind that, though. The thing that really gets to me is when my coworkers in tech support ask questions that they should have known or that can be Googled. If I can Google the question exactly as they asked it and return the answer in seconds, they should never have asked it. :facepalm:
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, Google is awesome for finding out whatever you want to. Also, I think its great that you can find reviews on whatever you want to buy, so that in the end you have more information on the product than you would get in-store.

I was once part of a website called Answerbag, and many questions asked on their were stupid as they could have easily found found them via Google!
  • BoxBox Regular
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, Google is awesome for finding out whatever you want to. Also, I think its great that you can find reviews on whatever you want to buy, so that in the end you have more information on the product than you would get in-store.

I was once part of a website called Answerbag, and many questions asked on their were stupid as they could have easily found found them via Google!
    Answerbag is the shit. I spend like 4 years on that site racking up points all the way to a guru and so on. After they revamped the UI...it all went to shit.

Without Google most techs would be fucked.
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Box wrote: »
    Answerbag is the shit. I spend like 4 years on that site racking up points all the way to a guru and so on. After they revamped the UI...it all went to shit.

Without Google most techs would be fucked.

That is precisely what I did!! Spent years at it getting higher and higher, then they revamped the UI and I promptly left. Looks like a Facebook wannabee, and its horrible! Such a shame as the previous one looked so nice :(
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited August 2011
    This thread - the truth. I cannot count how many times that Google has saved my ass with computer problems, and its free! Screw getting a tech Guy to help me, he probably uses Google to find his answers anyway.
  • JackJack Regular
    edited August 2011
    He definitely does. We in IT know a lot off the top of our heads, but not hardly everything. We expect to have to Google most things. That's what we're doing when we put you on hold to "look into it" or "check my resources". :P

It gets to be a pain, though, when someone thinks that we *do* know everything already. "What you don't know what error code 0xF0ADA555 means? Do you know what you're doing, I want to talk to someone else etc."
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2011
    Those question/answer sites that have popped up all over the place have the potential to challenge google in someways with regards to tech questions.

http://stackoverflow.com
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    When ever I have a problem with something, I always seem to find the answer via Google.