Windows screenlock program

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
hi,

I'm on a PC with a group policy setting that has disabled screenlocking.
This is extremely annoying as i sometimes go to the vending machine or outside for a few minutes and hate logging back in again.

I can run .exe's fine. Does anyone know of a simple screen-locking program?
google is telling me to use the windows lock.

windows vista :facepalm:

Thanks.

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2011
    eh. I've found something called clearlock. It does the trick.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    Windows Key + L

Works wonders.

Create a shortcut, and use that combo.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    If the system is on an Active Directory domain and the there is a Group Policy for it's OU the disables locking the system the Windows Key + L will not function.
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited August 2011
    That's the stupidest restriction I've ever heard of! Glad you found some alternative software though. Why does windows have to suck so much dick? I swear if steam came to Linux natively then I'd throw my windows drive underneath a train.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2011
    That's the stupidest restriction I've ever heard of! Glad you found some alternative software though. Why does windows have to suck so much dick? I swear if steam came to Linux natively then I'd throw my windows drive underneath a train.

It is a stupid restriction to have, but somewhere down the line it has a purpose for some sort of business or it wouldn't be there. Plus you can never have too many options when you're paying hundreds of dollars for an operating system that has a new version come out every 3 years right after you figure out how to work the existing one.

Has nothing to do with Microsoft sucking and Linux being "cool". The only thing Linux ever had over Windows was stability, that is almost non-comparable these days and so now Linux users just use the "We have more control over our OS and we use command line for everything so we're hardcore" argument. Like 90% of users would know what to do if they had as much control over a OS like Linux but with Windows. You think that would stop people from Googling, not to mention people googling the 10,000+ commands for linux because there are just too fucking many?

Any who...
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2011
    I guess the reason for disabling the screen-lock is to stop someone from claiming a computer for too long.

If the user leaves the room, he must log off, this gives another student the opportunity to access to it.

If i was the sysadmin i'd do it differently though, I would enable the screen-lock but force a log-off if the computer is inactive for more that 10 minutes.
  • edited August 2011
    ^ People used to do that at college. They'd lock the screen instead of logging off whenever they went away from their computer. Every time I found a locked computer, I'd just re-boot it.