We just found an old coin collection.

HGMIVHGMIV Acolyte
edited August 2011 in Life
My faincée and I came across an old coin collection of her late father's, and there's a coin collecting convention or something in town that says they're looking to buy coins, and many of them we have. Albeit a lot of them are not in great condition, but we just want to try our luck. The convention is only going on for three more days...What can we do to make sure that if we go, that nobody will try and scam us out of any money that we could possibly make? Do we need to do some research first? What are some things that we can make sure of before we go? Should we wait, and try and find someone around us that's reputable?

We're not expecting much, as I said, just trying our luck. Plus, we fucking need money.

Comments

• thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    If they're in bad condition then the coins will most likely only be worth their weight in whatever metal they are composed of. If you have a lot and truly believe they might be worth something, I'd recommend purchasing a Whitman Redbook, pictured below. Edit: I can pretty much guarantee the book will be at the convention. Buy it one day, do some research and go back the next.
    RedBook-Event-2010.png
    Just out of curiosity, what are some of the coins you have?
  • edited August 2011
    Of course you'll be wanting to do as much research as you possibly can, in case you are indeed scammed out of some money. Follow thewanderer's advice and read that book.
  • TraumTraum Regular
    edited August 2011
    A good idea would be to look at the current prices for silver/gold. Just like thewanderer mentioned, if they are in bad condition, it will only really be worth it's weight in silver/gold.

If you have some that seem as if they may be worth something, or some that are just unique, you could browse online. There are a couple auction type sites that deal in coins. Ebay is nice too for finding approximate worth of an item. Simply search for yer item, then look to see if any of the same item has been sold. Go buy the general sold price, not the asking price.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    Traum wrote: »

If you have some that seem as if they may be worth something, or some that are just unique, you could browse online. There are a couple auction type sites that deal in coins. Ebay is nice too for finding approximate worth of an item. Simply search for yer item, then look to see if any of the same item has been sold. Go buy the general sold price, not the asking price.
    Ebay is good if you know the grade of the coin. A redbook will explain every grade for each coin and offer a list of values for every year it was made.