Connecting PS3 Hard Drive to a Computer

edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
Can anyone tell me about the filesystem on a PS3 hard drive, and what stops it from being mounted and recognized on both Windows and Linux? My friend has busted his PS3 and wanted to save a bunch of his game-saves, but we're having troubles. Any help or information would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
  • IllAdvisedIllAdvised Acolyte
    edited August 2011
    Couldnt you just use it in another PS3 then save the files to a external HDD from there?
    edited August 2011
    The filesystem is an encrypted piece of fuck.

Last I checked, six months or so ago, there's no way to mount it outside of the PS3.

That is how SONY rolls on most things.
    edited August 2011
    I'm almost 100% sure Sony encrypt the filesystem using a unique hash in each PS3, meaning another PS3 won't be able to read it.

TDR: Yeah, fuck them. I hardly ever use my PS3 anymore, and even people I've known who were once Sony fans are avoiding them. I suspect they'd be in a lot of trouble if they didn't have the Blu-Ray license.

From what I read on several PS3 forums you are right about the hash thing.
  • edited August 2011
    You're definitely right about the hash thing. Even if I was to clone the drive or even pass the HDD over to another PS3, the second machine wouldn't be able to use it without formatting it first. I wonder if you could break the encryption if you racked enough PS3's together :D

Thanks for your information though, I was hoping you'd get in here and let me know what's what.