Perform a subcutaneous injection.

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited August 2011 in Spurious Generalities
This guide contains images of needles being inserted into a human being. If this bothers you then try to ignore them. This is a medical guide to help with administering a subcutaneous injection. It's long-winded but in-depth.

Not all injections are IV (Intravenous) or IM (Intramuscular) and so must be injected under the skin, as can be seen in the diagram below.
1LNleV9SBZ8Wpa7oJDolX1MJMFnm1ZePJ5zV.jpg

Picture courtesy of
http://drugster.info

Subcutaneous effectively means, in a medical sense;
Subcutaneous fat is found just beneath the skin as opposed to visceral fat which is found in the peritoneal cavity. Subcutaneous fat can be measured using body fat calipers giving a rough estimate of total body adiposity. This fat aids in the process of homeostasis, by forming a layer of insulation to slow heat loss.

Injection into the subcutaneous tissue is a route of administration used for, for example, insulin. Skin popping is a slang term that includes this method of administration, and is usually used in association with recreational drugs.

This guide is for how to inject medicine, not anything particular on recreational drugs. I personally do this for medical reasons but you may choose to use it for whatever. I cannot offer any advice on injection Opiates or illicit drugs, so this guide is not for that. If you wish to inject Opiates then you had better know how to avoid cotton fever etc as this guide won't cover that procedure.

Contents.
  • What you will need.
  • Preparation. People who don't like needles will benefit from this section.
  • Actually doing the injection.
  • Aftercare.

So to do this procedure, you will need:
  • A syringe and hypodermic needle. If you are using this for medical uses, you will probably already have one. I personally have a pre-filled syringe. Also your Doctor will have told you to keep your medication(s) in the fridge. I cannot stress this enough.
  • Alcohol swab. Having a sterile work area and hands will save you a ton of headaches and skinaches, if you get me.
  • Painkillers - as subcutaneous injections can and will "pop"/blister the skin.
  • EMLA cream to add to numbness.
  • And personally, I find 5mg Valium helps.

As you can see, here it all is.
Tf190CNET4t2I39qvKXmAX5ZkXHPNEWx67bB.jpg

Preparation. Needlephobes and others pay attention.

I had a grave phobia of needles for as long as I can remember. I would refuse IVs to the point in hospital where my family would be in tears as I would have been dead. I was an angsty teen at the time and didn't realise the hardships I was putting them through, even refusing routine jabs and booster immunisations because, in my own words, "I'd rather die", so for any people with a needle phobia out there, take it from me - you can get over your fear. All it takes is self-determination, self-realisation and in my case, 3 tattoos.

I find the best way to prevent the pain from blistered skin is to do the following.
  • 5mg valium 2 hours before the injection. Today I did the jab at approximately 17:35 and so popped 5mg Valium at 15:30. it just helps my heart insomuch as it's not beating out of my chest.
  • If you do not have Valium or your Doctor won't prescribe it, then take a good amount of painkillers. I used to take 90mg Codeine and/or 150mg Tramadol. Make sure you know your limits and any drug interactions.
  • One surefire way of reducing the pain is EMLA cream (remember the "magic cream" you'd get at the Hospital as a kid before a blood test or being anaesthatised?) It's that. Here's a picture of it, and the reaction after an hour on my thigh with some clingfilm and gaffa tape or some medical "plaster". Put on a fair sized amount to make sure it works. Most Doctors will give it to you if they know you have to inject, as they realise how painful subcutaneous injections can be.
    Anything to help take the stress away as the last thing you want is to hit a vein. I've done it and majorly fucked up. Heart failure was not something I'd wish on anyone.
    7PGtDQ0KLb0L3En6nWTzr6SmzUb028cW01rb.jpg
  • Leaving the syringe out for approximately 30 minutes before you inject. It allows the solution to get to room temperature and hurts a shitload less than if you were to inject straight from the fridge. I know you're supposed to keep it in the fridge, but 30 minutes to get it warmed up to room temperature isn't bad. You would rather inject a room temperature liquid under your skin than a fridge temperature one. Believe.
  • With my medication, I find not doing drugs for 24 hours before and after very helpful. I get away with it sometimes but it can really fuck me up if I have a spliff - and the time I hit a vein was when I had some booze and my blood was so thin. It's just more hassle than it's worth.

So, you've prepared yourself mentally and physically. All that's left to do is the injection itself.

Actually doing the injection.

Step 1.
I prefer to lie on my bed, sitting upwards with some badass music on. Make sure you'll have some time where people won't burst into your room and keep your phone away. You don't need anything making you jump - not least with a needle in you. Take your trousers off (if like me, you inject on the upper thigh) and hitch up your undies (if you wear boxer shorts). Just relax your leg muscles. The more you tense, the more it will hurt. Chill!
bTLJcaGrV9ISGPryB02t012RYKjVA9rWkBBS.jpg
Image courtesy of:
http://media.diagnosispro.com

Step 2.
Wash your hands thoroughly and return to your room, take out the alcohol swab and rub the area where you applied the EMLA cream (or didn't, if you preferred not to or didn't have any. If you did apply EMLA cream, then remember to wipe it off with some tissues to check it's numb and that you don't have any residue left on your skin) then take the cap off the needle. It's not necessary, but if you can flick the syringe and get as much of the air out as possible then it helps.
The thought of injecting air into me kinda freaks me out. A small bubble won't hurt. It's not your bloodstream. Now get your alcohol swab you got with the injection and give the EMLA cream/injecting site a good wipe over.
6LOxQTSnGORaWKFS1EUfW4YwHHKbvGFGQHWt.jpg

r4AwkNI3O1QBTKnQ7UH2m58GOFXOIlcZElvN.jpg
Area I appled the EMLA cream to. It's slightly more red due to the amount of Lidocane etc my skin absorbed.

Step3.
Grab some fat. I do this on my thigh as that's the only place I have fat, but stomach is also a good place.
nFW8ieE5INckCIRy9CIEF5IeEGuXlJDWWT3N.jpg

B5RYs8uq5X9PtUHGoLIwDhFXNGUOIOpP5ZQz.jpg

Step 4.
Take the syringe and if you have any music playing it helps. I prefer to have the open end of the needle pointing upwards and you must inject at around a 45 degree angle. This ensures optimum placement for hitting the subcutaneous layer and allows for a smooth passage of fluid.
ZrfSq0SoPcSP9jqfVa3C0THXNIsXxhxIICDQ.jpg
Image courtsey of:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Beveled_tip_of_a_hypodermic_needle_20090714_006.JPG

WrTGmU2kJgBfx9OCxWqJZzKs8LSmB9E4sNmz.jpg
Image courtesy of:
http://intramuscularinjectionsim.blogspot.com/2011/05/dorsogluteal-injection.html

Step 5.
Slowly push the plunger down. Yes it will sting for the first few seconds but once you get going, it doesn't. I keep a thumb as a spacer on the syringe in order to keep a constant flow and so I don't accidently jerk the plunger resulting in a lot more fluid going in than usual. A constant flow is paramount. Fast or slow, it helps. I went from taking 15 minutes each on my first time to around 5 minutes now.
BuRl122yZXxDFJupFHxRC45TTkNrdjC4R2zS.jpg

Step 6.
Keep going until the total amount of liquid has been injected. You will soon notice a small 'blister' forming. Depending on your pain threshold this can be damn painful - so you are more than welcome to re-insert the needle at another nearby point to put the rest in (I used to do half on each thigh) but if it's in deep enough, it shouldn't matter. Keep at it, you pussy!
bROTUIMOv1Y5922hdT0nAiSbeIwYKjIFZ9uB.jpg

Step 7.
Once all the liquid has been injected, either in one go or two, then take the needle out slowly and put the cap on the needle. Leave the injection site and blister open to the air for 5 minutes or so to let it heal, then put your trousers back on. Just take it easy.
oGGIMUEhNf8CIal11I4tyUjEU1sGIFnYOw87.jpg

0dnuP4N6NsUDXcO9OC8UiLbJXfwqQwsYn89E.jpg

Step 8.
You're done! Now dispose of your syringe/needle/cap combo into a sharps bin.

Aftercare.
  • Don't have a bath directly after as anything like bath water or germs can fuck it up. Leave it 20 minutes before submerging it in water.
  • Putting a clean plaster over the site, if you can, isn't a bad idea.
  • If you feel lightheaded as you are not a fan of needles, have a sugary drink. Also bear this in mind beforehand. I tend to have half a bottle before and the other half after.
  • Don't itch it. It's tempting as it does itch, but do that and enter a world of pain.
V1.1
26/8/2011

Changelog: Typos and edited pictures (27/8/2011)

Comments

• edited August 2011
    You ACTUALLY made this into a guide... You're a legend man, an absolute legend. This is excellent information for anyone wanting to perform these subcutaneous injections, and I'm really glad you went through the cleaning and preperation procedures as well - wouldn't want anyone doing this incorrectly. Fantastic guide, this is the stuff which Totse is needing.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Cheers man. As for me doing it, of course I fucking would! You ask for a guide, you shall receive a guide ;) hope it helps someone out there. I know a lot of support forums for people with autoimmune illnesses etc such as myself and if we can get their attention onboard, then all the better. Hope the images weren't too gory, and you have no idea how much I was going "fuck you trx, making me take these damn photos with one hand..argh" throughout the whole procedure lol. Having to sit there, reach for the phone, select the camera app, not wanting to drop the phone or have it go off lol.
    Still, it worked. Hope someone benefits from it :)
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    Taken from: Mind & Body