WPA Enabled as Default in Routers

edited August 2011 in Tech & Games
Is it just me, or is WPA becoming a LOT more common in households which wouldn't even know what wireless encryption is in the first place? Sounds like a stupid question, but coming from a person who likes to scan around while out and about with his laptop, I've started seeing a lot more routers which are WPA enabled, and in homes which I know aren't technology-savvy. It seems like newer routers are coming with WPA enabled as default, which is great for general security. WEP sucks bad, and it's a WiFi hacker's wet dream to come across an insecure/WEP (also insecure) network when you're out and about. Shame that WPA is being seen more lately - I remember when I would be able to jump onto pretty much any WiFi network I wanted just because they were all shitty WEP encrypted.

Ahh well. Time to get with the times. WPA cracking is a bitch though.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Last time I tried WPA cracking, I had to capture the three-way handshake and then run a dictionary attack to try and crack the key. Only problem is, the key's never in the dictionary if the owner of the router is smart enough :( I could have been doing it wrong though - I learned from this guide;

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=cracking_wpa

Is there a better way of doing this now?
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited August 2011
    I think you're right Trx. Recently, I helped my buddy set up his router which was sent to him from his ISP when he upgraded his internet package. We unboxed the router and everything was basically set up to run out of the box, and the encryption was even set up and already in place. I was amazed that it was defaulted to WPA2 with a pretty strong default password on it. You're right when you say it's a bitch when it comes to looking for a good network to piggyback from though :(