hURRICANE IRENE UPDATES 29 MILLION PEOPLE UNDER WARNING

white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
edited August 2011 in Spurious Generalities
HurricaneCentral_BrandingBar_29million.jpg

- Mark Avery, Lead Meteorologist, The Weather Channel
Aug 27, 2011 1:26 am ET

- Hurricane Irene poses an extraordinary threat and is one that no one has yet experienced from the Mid-Atlantic to the Northeast to New England.

- Hurricane Irene is a category 2 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

- As of 1 a.m. Eastern Time Saturday, the center of Hurricane Irene is located about 105 miles south of Cape Lookout, North Carolina, or about 155 miles south-southwest of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, has winds near 100 miles per hour, and was moving to the north-northeast at 13 miles per hour.

- Irene's outer bands are bringing rain and thunderstorms to eastern sections of North and South Carolina already, and will continue to move northward into eastern Virginia through early Saturday morning.

- Hurricane conditions likely in eastern North Carolina through Saturday afternoon, tapering off from south to north as the day progresses (and the low moves northward) Saturday.

- The center of Irene is expected to make landfall as a category 1 hurricane early Saturday morning in eastern North Carolina, most likely near or just east of Morehead City, but tropical storm conditions are possible as far inland as I-95 in North Carolina, with hurricane conditions possible as far as 40 miles from the coast.

- Hurricane conditions are expected for much of Saturday along the Outer Banks, with parts of Highway 12 likely to be washed out from storm surge and waves on top of that surge.

- In general, a storm surge (rise in water level) between 6 to 11 feet above normal high tides are possible along the North Carolina Coast, including the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds, with higher waves on top of that surge.

- Rain and wind will begin to pick up in eastern Virginia, then up into Maryland, Delaware, and southern New Jersey Saturday.

- Hurricane conditions possible along the coast, with tropical storm conditions possible as far inland as I-95.

- Hurricane conditions are likely on Saturday night for the Delmarva Peninsula, New Jersey, and even extreme southeastern Pennsylvania Saturday night.

- Inland sections from Baltimore and the Washington, D.C. area to eastern Pennsylvania can expect tropical storm conditions and heavy rain.

- The New York metropolitan area will experience the worst conditions later Saturday night and Sunday with hurricane conditions possible along with destructive wind, heavy flooding rain, and storm surge with coastal flooding.

- Tropical storm conditions expected western New Jersey and the upstate of New York up the Hudson River Valley.

- Irene is expected to make its final landfalls on Sunday along the coast of Long Island and Southern New England as a category 1 hurricane.

- Irene will race through New England Sunday and Sunday night, and could still bring some hurricane conditions, mainly to the Southern New England Coast.

- Conditions in the Mid-Atlantic, northward through southeast New York, New Jersey, and New England are expected to be unlike what many have experienced in these areas with extreme gusty winds, flooding rains, and coastal flooding.

- Flooding and wind-related damage (including downed trees, limbs, power lines, power outages, roof, window, and siding damage) can be expected from North Carolina to New England by the time Irene moves away on Monday.

- A storm surge (rise in water level) between 4 to 8 feet above normal high tide can be expected from the North Carolina/Virginia border northward to Cape Cod, with high waves on top of that surge.

- Hurricane warnings are in effect from Little River Inlet (near the North Carolina/South Carolina border) all the way up to Sagamore Beach, Massachusetts, including New York City, Long Island, Long Island Sound, Albemarle, Pamlico, and Currituck Sounds, Delaware Bay, and Chesapeake Bay south of Drum Point.

- A tropical storm warnings are in effect from north of Edisto Beach, South Carolina, to Little River Inlet (near the North Carolina/South Carolina border), and from north of Sagamore Beach, Massachusetts, to the Merrimack River (near the Massachusetts/New Hampshire border).

- A tropical storm watch is in effect for Merrimack River, Massachusetts (near the border with New Hampshire), to Eastport, Maine.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited August 2011
    It's just a Cat II, it would be funny if it reaches land and picks up speed. But 29 Million people, WOW!
  • white88enochianwhite88enochian Regular
    edited August 2011
    The whole friggin east coast is affected places around new york havent had a hurrican since the 1800s most the buildings are ontop of sand. its not the hurrican that people are worried about its the extreme flooding

lol the governor of new jeresy just said get the hell of the beach
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited August 2011
    You can tell it's going to be a few puffs of wind and nothing to worry about. I'm just outside of the evac-zone so I'll keep you posted on what's happening. Hopefully the internet doesn't drop out on me!
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited August 2011
    The media is blowing this so far out of proportion I can't respond. My cousin and I were out drinking last night and just shaking our heads at the television coverage of this shit. We both used to live on Hatteras Island NC and have lived through several hurricanes there including a cat 5. This is a cat 2 and is going to cause a lot of rain and some flooding, big whoop.
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited August 2011
    ^ Pretty much this. Media these days blow every fucking thing out of proportion :facepalm: They're treating it as though it's the end of the world and everybody needs to GTFO, get batteries, stock up on supplies etc... It's not the god damn apocalypse, it's some wind, some rain, maybe a few floods here and there. I'm going to move anything valuable onto the second story of my house, but other than that, fuck it all. I mean, looking outside right now, it's just bad weather. I'm in the safe zone, pretty much on the border of where they're evacuating so I get to stay here :D
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Seriously? All this fuss? I doubt it's going to be that bad. It's category 2 and as per, scaremongering plays a part.
    Still, comfy where I am.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    The big deal with this storm is that it's massive. It just started raining in New Jersey and the storm only recently made landfall in North Carolina. The majority of damage from a hurricane isn't from the wind, it is from the rain and flooding. Even though the storm is only a category 1 at the moment, it's bringing in up to an 8 foot storm surge because of the size of the storm.

The location that the storm is hitting is another factor. The northeast rarely gets a direct hit from hurricanes. The center of the storm is supposed to go right up the jersey shore, which is jam packed with beach houses right on the water. Considering that most of that area of the country has gotten too much rain in the past month, another 6-10 inches of rain is significant.

Of course the storm's being hyped, but there's a real threat.
    We both used to live on Hatteras Island NC and have lived through several hurricanes there including a cat 5.
    Bullshit.
  • edited August 2011
    Does weather in the US have an effect on what it's like elsewhere? Where I'm living right now, there's a fucking huge ass storm hammering away outside, thunder battering my windows with awesome vibrations.