My Version of the Totse Index Page

edited September 2011 in Life
I decided to try re-designing the Totse index page yesterday, which involved messing around with the current layout and removing a few things which I didn't see as necessary (such as the Teamspeak Widget). It's a WORK IN PROGRESS which is why it ISN'T COMPLETE, but you get the general idea of it :)

http://www.totse.info - Our current homepage

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6465505/IndexTrix.html - My version (Half finished, remember)

Please tell me what you think should be changed, or improved. What do you like about it? What do you dislike?

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    looks alright. The bottom bar is aligned strangely.
    How do rounded borders render in IE?
    I think the article separator borders should stand out more.

On a related note, I must be the only one who styles everything directly in the <div> element.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2011

On a related note, I must be the only one who styles everything directly in the <div> element.

It's not a good idea to do that especially if you plan to replicate the page.

Trx, I like the concept but it it's too rounded and not really modern. Plus, it has empty regions. It might look good on an HD screen but when you lower the screen size things suddenly change.

Plus you need to keep symmetry. But keep at it, you will find something :)
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2011
    I added some minor changes to address Trx100 problem with color white. LED LCD have that issue.
  • edited September 2011

Haven't started on the bottom bar yet.
    Rounded borders work in IE - the last time I checked, you needed some slightly different CSS code to get them to work. Not sure how this is reflected in the newest IE though, as I think it's capable of rendering CSS3 now.

I realize the whole thing looks shit at the moment, I was just going for a very "trimmed down" version of the current page :)
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    What's stopping us from hosting the totse textfiles we were planning on removing on dropbox? just like trx did with his sample page?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2011
    What's stopping us from hosting the totse textfiles we were planning on removing on dropbox? just like trx did with his sample page?

Massive linking. Try hosting few linked files on dropbox.
  • edited September 2011
    Can we not just buy a domain called "totsetextfiles.com" or something, and host it on Vineman's server?
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2011
    This Just In... : Changed to H2 instead of H1.
    Subject headers : Positioned to the left instead of centralized. #CCC fonts & colored teal. (breaks the white)
    Categories, What's New, Like List. : Bought in closer to the main content.
    Subject Separators : Instead of grey, perhaps try teal?
    Top Bar : Twice as wide.
    I kinda like the rounded top bar. It retains the totse theme but makes it our own. If you were to use css3 gradients, you would accomplish that modern look. Including the right content boxes. You know what I mean. & perhaps add a teal border around the main content to break the white.Awesome start. :cool:
  • edited September 2011
    Shame I know little CSS3 :D I'll get learning, maybe I can actually turn this into something that looks nice. The main problem I have when designing anything is that I am not artistic in the slightest. I can't think ahead - I literally just wing it and hope that things turn out good. If I don't like something, I'll keep re-working it until it does. This is the long way around :(
    edited September 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Shame I know little CSS3 :D I'll get learning, maybe I can actually turn this into something that looks nice. The main problem I have when designing anything is that I am not artistic in the slightest. I can't think ahead - I literally just wing it and hope that things turn out good. If I don't like something, I'll keep re-working it until it does. This is the long way around :(
    If you have the old css from totse.info we created, you'll have the css3 gradient code. Just replace the background color of your css with the gradient code. If you don't I can supply it tomorrow. (It's out in my room on my external :( )
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    If you have the old css from totse.info we created, you'll have the css3 gradient code. Just replace the background color of your css with the gradient code. If you don't I can supply it tomorrow. (It's out in my room on my external :( )

http://totse.info/index5.html

You can find everything there.
    edited September 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    http://totse.info/index5.html
    You can find everything there.
    5char bro...;)