List Building, Think Twice Before Registering on a Forum

DfgDfg Admin
edited September 2011 in Life
I was mostly inspired by Google Data Liberation Policy, I like how they offered users to actually get a first hand look at their data. I have been exposed to Aweber, Amember and other list building, newsletters etc programs in the past weeks. I am not a fan of it but I don't working with them. Unfortunately I can't share things regarding it because it will make my job harder and I do have to earn. So, I am sorry but I won't focus on how to make this and that.

Instead, I am going to share something interesting with you. In the past Vbulletin Versions that I have used, I didn't see any option for collections users information like name and e-mails. That's because at that time, you required to use third party add-ons. When it comes to list building, you're required to get users to register or submit details and confirm the registration.

Using aweber users can just add a form and tell users to submit valid details and in return they will get something. This method is being used by everyone and it's slowly taking over website after website. The confirmed information is then used by the account owner for sending you promotional web mails or you list is sold to someone else and then you get spammed by it.

I have personally helped setup this type of system for my clients and I honestly regret doing it. I used my odesk account to test the e-mails and I didn't remove it. I have been getting virus laden attachments, fake e-mails, coupons what not on my e-mail account. The user in question gets a very shitty deal but not all the list builders do that, some actually enlist you in programs.

In short, they get your details and then use it to market their products or spam the fuck out of you. Now, consider if a forum owner decides to try this. Well, thanks to Vbulletin 4, you can pretty much do it easily, hell they even have a tab devoted to it, although it uses a third party setup but still.

The point is, I can sell/use all 9000+ users accounts which have been activated by the users and earn money using it. But this is Totse.info and I wouldn't let anyone even dream of doing it to you guys but not every forum is Totse. In fact, you should think twice before registering on any forum from now on. And use a temp account, because like it or not, sooner or later someone is going to try this approach.

I am sorry I didn't add more information but some times giving away too much information might actually harm others.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    List building back in the days of telemarketing used to be a quick path to easy sleazy profits.

The old "enter this free compeition" where the prize is drawn after two years and it goes to shopping centres and places all over the state collecting peoples various ages, genders and phone numbers (and maybe a bullshit why do you deserve to win in 25 words).

Once you had all that shit together you'd make some college kid type it into a computer and sell your "hot list" to companies for whatever they wanted to hawk.

The internet is completely full of list building, spam, data aggregation and every kind of marketing - Its good that you're not feeding into this thing because the model that everyone produces everything for free while everyone gets advertised to as a means to pay for it is not sustainable imo.
    Charging people $10 to get onto the SA forums dramatically improved the forums, removed majority of trolls and encouraged people to make it worth their while - and it supported a great site that brought much joy to many people.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited September 2011
    ^ I don't really like the SA model but it's something that can be implemented in near future to get rid of trolls etc. Of course old totseans would never need to pay anything.