Backtrack Linux Forums

edited September 2011 in Tech & Games
Is it just me, or are the majority of people at the Backtrack Linux Forum a massive bunch of up-tight assholes? I appreciate that some people don't wish to reveal too much information about certain things which might be discoverable on Google, but a lot of thread replies that are given are often just plain rude. There's a line between nudging people into learning things for themselves, and being a douchebag about it.

That said, there IS a lot of useful information on there which is good material for people wishing to learn more about Backtrack and the tools it has to offer. I think that in order to get the best out of the Backtrack forums, you have to lurk like fuck, use Google as much as you can and resist the urge to sign up and ask something which may be considered "noobish".

Comments

• angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited September 2011
    The quieter you become the more you are able to hear.
    That said I don't know shit about shit as far as backtrack is concerned but maybe these people want you to EARN their respect.
  • edited September 2011
    Probably. I think they just want people to Google things for themselves instead of asking it in the forum. However, what's the point in even having the beginners forum if everyone can find what they're looking for on Google? Seems kind of counter-productive to me. Oh well :)
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    It's because they're pretentious dickheads. Only someone with massive ego problems would berate a stranger for asking something. They're trying to mask incompetence with fake condescension.

The network security world is full of people with a need to validate themselves. Have you ever witnessed these people trying to converse? Everything is a dick measuring contest.

The idea that hacking is about some collective counterculture movement is antiquated.

I know some serious hackers (I'm really reluctant to use that word - "Networking People" is probably a more accurate description) and the biggest misconception is that hacking is an art that can be learnt. It's all about the mastery of a technology and using that against someone with superficial knowledge of a technology.

The best answer I've ever heard to the 'how do i hack?' question is 'learn tcp/ip'. The rest really falls into place, anyone can use the man pages to learn about a tool.
  • RaggedOldManRaggedOldMan Regular
    edited September 2011
    ^ I think you hit the nail on the head there Slartibartfast :) I've checked out the BT forums before, because I'm very interested in hacking and computer security. I've never registered an account there though because what's point? You get flamed, you get banned for asking a question, etc etc etc. It's full of bullshit and I'd much rather learn to hack by reading on the internet, or checking man pages. TCP/IP is something I still need to learn though :(
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited September 2011
    Download '"Backtrack 5" NOW! .... Batteries not included.
    I loaded the stuff I use on my bodhilinux. There's just to much shit on BT I'll never use.
    I get more information from a browser search than the BT forum. They have lot's of tutorials on how to install BT5. :facepalm: