Learning the OSI Model

edited October 2011 in Tech & Games
I covered this at college but I rushed it so much that I don't even remember half of it :facepalm: However, I know it's a good thing to know, so I want to learn it properly this time around. However, what exactly do I need to know about it? Every single little detail, or just the names of each layer and what they do?

Comments

• BaconPieBaconPie Regular
    edited September 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

I had a module in networking last semester. You generally had to know what each layer was and the things it did. It was in a EEE dept. so mostly the lower levels like transmission protocols and error correction but we had to know higher level stuff too like ports and encryption (RSA was as complicated as it got).

The labs were all about using wireshark to analyse network traffic.
  • edited September 2011
    I hate this shit so much

Do you just want to learn for the sake of learning, or do you have a goal in mind? I've never found the knowledge terribly useful, save for understanding different levels of abstraction when developing network applications...

I wanted to learn for the sake of learning, but seeing as I'm going into IT as a career then I figured it might be useful to know about the OSI model :thumbsup: Thanks for your responses, and BaconPie - I'll check out the wikipedia link you left me. If you have any other helpful tips then I'd like to hear them. I seem to recall also having a powerpoint presentation with about 30 slides on, explaining about the OSI model and what each layer does. I saved it from College :) I might upload it here as it's probably helpful.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited September 2011
    I learnt all that through CCNA cert. do one of the online sample exams and see what you know/don't know. then go from there.
  • edited September 2011
    ^ Alright, sounds good to me. Would you say that learning the OSI model is beneficial when going into the IT field?
    edited September 2011
    The OSI model is an abstract explanation of a computer network implementation.
    It's a blueprint for how networks work. You'll notice that it leaves out implementation details such as protocols (TCP/IP is de facto standard now, but in the 90s IPX/SPX was also a contender) ,and hardware (wired, wirless, radio etc...)

The OSI model is easier to understand when you study real world implementations alongside it. Physical Layer; study ethernet cables , transport layer; study TCP , Transport layer; study TCP and understand how the all work with each other at the packet level.

If you ever go for a certification, these will generally be examined.

EDIT: Studying the OSI model by itself is kinda pointless, there is not really a lot to know (as implementation details are left out), so generally when people say study the 'OSI model' they also mean study the TCP/IP protocol (or whatever) and the hardware that goes with it. The question 'what is TCP and IP and how do they talk to each other?' will lead you to the OSI model anyhow.
  • edited September 2011
    So maybe I should take a look at TCP/IP first and see where that takes me? :)
  • edited October 2011
    So I enrolled on the CCNA Academy like you suggested as my University offered it to us all for free. Very interesting stuff, and I'm just working my way through the modules right now. Thanks for the suggestion, I don't think I'd have taken the chance unless I'd remembered what you said in this thread :)
    edited October 2011
    Do you get a lecturer and lab as well?

The CCNA is like ~$10,000.

I got mine almost free too, student discount, ftw!
  • edited October 2011
    ^ Yup :D Holy fuck though, I didn't realize it was THAT expensive. Makes me want to go study some more now, I've got a fairly free day ahead of me so maybe I'll get reading.