How to Land an Airplane in an Emergency

buddhabuddha Regular
edited September 2011 in Spurious Generalities
http://www.wikihow.com/Land-an-Airplane-in-an-Emergency

Thought this might be appropriate for the weekend.

Comments

• BoxBox Regular
    edited September 2011
    What a piss poor "guide."

Poor fuck's been playing X-Plane too long.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Most modern planes (if not all of them) have autopilot modes to land. I recall chatting to a co-pilot about it. Just makes the whole process a lot easier.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited September 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Most modern planes (if not all of them) have autopilot modes to land. I recall chatting to a co-pilot about it. Just makes the whole process a lot easier.

Any plane with auto pilot should actually be able to auto land - the only reason planes have pilots is in case anything goes wrong and to anticipate situations that could occur that the planes systems cannot detect - eg a car on the runway. Lots of things in life like that - a computer programe is more than capable of telling a machine how to do something, but a person has to be there incase something goes wrong.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    dr rocker wrote: »
    Any plane with auto pilot should actually be able to auto land - the only reason planes have pilots is in case anything goes wrong and to anticipate situations that could occur that the planes systems cannot detect - eg a car on the runway. Lots of things in life like that - a computer programe is more than capable of telling a machine how to do something, but a person has to be there incase something goes wrong.

Cheers for clarifying it. I was a bit miffed when I first heard and talked of it to the co-pilot but yeah, I guess humans are there to override the system in case of unforeseen circumstances.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    I know a guy who is a commercial pilot. He reckons all they are is a glorified bus driver, planes fly themselves. All the pilot does is tells it where to go.