What sort of lens to use?

fagfag Regular
edited September 2011 in Life
So I started off doing photography as a hobby a couple years ago, and I've been gradually getting more referrals for stuff. IE, people needing help in selling vehicles/items online, a few art shoots, real estate companies needing property photos, etc. After doing some wedding photography and keeping up with the designated photographer a good portion of the time, I got referred to a gig doing photography for a bachelorette party.

Right now, I've only got a decent telephoto and a cheapish 18-55mm f/3.5 lens which is pretty versatile when lighting is good, but I've found with low-light shooting that stuff turns out bleh(due to the high f-stop?). It's going to be a lot of fast-paced, up close and personal shooting, and often in less than ideal lighting. So I don't really need much zoom, so much as I need it to focus fast and keep up with motion in dim conditions.

This is for a Nikon D40. I can stand to drop about $300 on a lens at this time, and I don't mind buying used.

Comments

• fagfag Regular
    edited September 2011
    Update: Went with a 50mm /1.8 AF-S lens. Thinking I might get a 35mm to complement it, since they are so compact.
  • fagfag Regular
    edited September 2011
    I think gear of an activity can get pretty addictive, especially if you're really nitpicking your results seriously..Be it music, guns, photography, tapdancing, etc. I know if I had a good external flash and a more suitable lens, I would have gotten way more coverage of the after party, with a marked increase in quality. That there is a $400+ investment in it's own..