Smart Meters

PapiChuloPapiChulo Semo-Regulars
edited September 2011 in Tech & Games
I have heard that it's possible to make adjustments to smart meters so that your electric usage is at a more affordable level. Has anyone here heard of a way to do this?

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    It's certainly possible but if you were to fuck it up, your power company will fuck you over. But you won't be able to make it go backwards, They will suspect tampering. Your best bet would be to modify the calibration of the unit to slow it down.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited September 2011
    In the "old days" back when I lived in London, a strong magnet from the scrapyard was the preferred method of stopping the old-style meters from turning round.
    As for new ones, there was a guide written by I think, Daktologist, regarding NZ electric meters.
    edited September 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    As for new ones, there was a guide written by I think, Daktologist, regarding NZ electric meters.

Yeah, but now they are replacing my meter so they can read it remotely. But once its done I will bypass it again, I changed everything back so they don't suspect a thing.
  • PapiChuloPapiChulo Semo-Regulars
    edited September 2011
    It's certainly possible but if you were to fuck it up, your power company will fuck you over. But you won't be able to make it go backwards, They will suspect tampering. Your best bet would be to modify the calibration of the unit to slow it down.

I have heard that the firmware (whatever that is) for smart meters can be downloaded online and that you can buy the handheld calibration units but I don't know where to find them. This is way beyond my skill level so I was hoping someone might have some experience and be able to say if it can be successfully re-calibrated.

I have also heard that there have been many complaints that the smart meters in California and Texas have been installed and programmed to read double the actual amount of electricity used, so I would be interested in information if only to find out if the meter is set up correctly.
    edited September 2011
    PapiChulo wrote: »
    I have heard that the firmware (whatever that is)

Firmware is the operating system that the meter runs, much like your computer or phone. I imagine that hacked firmware would be available for the meter but i'm guessing that the power company monitors that very closely to prevent tampering. Your best bet if you want to steal electricity is to bypass the meter entirely.
  • ThirdRockFromTheSunThirdRockFromTheSun <b style="color:blue;">Third<em style="color:pink;">Cock</em>FromThe<em style="color:brown;">Bum</em
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, you've got to be careful with shit like this, or the electric company will come down on you like a ton of bricks, it'll also mean you can't do this ever again due to suspicion.
  • edited September 2011
    Hacking the firmware might actually be a good idea - especially if it's anything like flashing a new OS onto a phone. As long as you have a copy of the original firmware, you can re-load that whenever the company comes a knockin' and they won't know any different ;)
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, you've got to be careful with shit like this, or the electric company will come down on you like a ton of bricks, it'll also mean you can't do this ever again due to suspicion.

From what I have heard, here they have an off the books "black list" which you get put on if you are caught stealing electricity. basically this is shared between power companies and they will refuse to connect you because if it. I have heard of many people being refused electricity because of failure to pay in the past or theft. Shits not worth getting caught over unless you know exactly what you are doing and can ensure that they won't suspect a thing.

Then again I worked out that I stole around $1500 worth of electricity last year alone. They rip me off and I will rip them off. Fuckers :mad: