Ubuntu 11.10 Beta 1 Review (Kinda)

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited September 2011 in Tech & Games
I was going to do a Ubuntu Beta review but it's really not worth the effort. There are very few differences, screenshots will be more useful. There are not going to be any added features for this releases.

1) It's more sluggish than i remember 11.04 being.
2) The Unity Launcher bar is still a broken idea (Despite their efforts to fix it)
3) Thunderbird is now default mail client (replaces Evolution)
4) They've moved some system configuration entries from unity launcher to the power buttom menu.
5) If you are used to the Luxury of a rolling release, this OS seems dated already.
6) They've replaced the menu launcher icon from being in the menu bar to now being in the dock.
7) They have a a new Software manager look
8) They've fucked about with the padding for everything. looks like more screen-estate.

Ubuntu is going to bleed its users away. It's current userbase is mainly broke college kids with no money to buy a mac. I cannot see any corporate customer deciding to go with Ubuntu. It's not worth it. What's the selling point? They can't even use Ubuntu to keep old hardware alive.

Their netbook strategy is fucked. Netbooks are dead. Their tablet strategy is dead. They'll never get tablet hardware vendors to install Ubuntu - it's a desktop OS, with big buttons; A product that lacks innovation. They'll all go with Android.

Mark my words, This is the highest numbers Ubuntu is going to get. Win8 is a good OS, MS has finally pulled its finger out. Ubuntu is never going to make any money. Shuttleworth will stop funding the company in 3-4 years.

Over the year, a good chunk of its userbase will go back to windows or go with another Linux Distro. They have no reason to stay with Ubuntu. Lightweight? no. Stable? No. Better Design? No. Any future? Likely not. Virus/malware free doesn't cut it anymore, viruses are not a problem with windows, and haven't been since XP SP3.

Anyway enough ranting, Here's the gallery:
http://min.us/mboGxf6OXG