Data Recovery

am0amacham0amach Semo-Regulars
edited October 2011 in Tech & Games
Had one of those wonderful hard drive crashes, I was just wondering if anyone knows someone who is willing to do data recovery for less than $300. I think it may just be a problem with the logic board but I cant seem to find a HD with the same model number to swap out.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2011
    I can guide you, what's make and model of the HDD. You can pretty much replace the Controller board and get it working. I tried it myself and it works.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Try using HDD Regenerator which you can find on Hiren's Boot CD. Data recovery is expensive and there are never any guarantees. In other words if you use a place like Lazarus Data Recovery they will charge you a fee for the attempt and then an additional fee for the data recovered based on the amount of data recovered.

In 2004 we had an HDD crash with over 300 GB of research data going back 10 years that some egg head refused to put into his roaming profile. We sent the drive to Lazarus and it was $600 for the attempt and like $50 per GB of data recovered. The $600 was non refundable regardless of the outcome.

I have used HDD regenerator multiple times and recovered HDD that even linux could not mount. From my understanding HDD Regenerator is able to by pass the HAL and speak to the HDD directly on the "hardware layer". It identifies bad sectors, recovers the data, moves the data, and remaps the drive sectors.
  • am0amacham0amach Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2011
    @ DFG,

Its a Seagate Barracuda ES.2,
    S/N: 90MBQ376
    P/N: 9CA 154-304
    Firmware 6N06
    PCB #: 100477122

I tried to swap the pcb board with another that had the same serial and PCB# but I noticed later it had a different Part Number (9CA 154-303). I am going to track down a different PCB and try it because I just found one on ebay for like $30. I am just hoping this isn't a head crash...

I have found a few places that offer no data no charge grantee but they give me a quote that ranges from $90 to $1200.
    edited October 2011
    Is this for a PC or a console system?
    edited October 2011
    IT's a PC
    edited October 2011
    OK and the board on the drive is fried right?
    edited October 2011
    Either that or a head crash, it starts up normal sometimes I can get the computer to recognize the drive but as soon as I try to access it it will freeze up the computer. Also worth noting it gives a slight clicking sound when trying to read. Strange thing is the disk is hardly two years old.
    edited October 2011
    If you can get bios to recognize it you can recover the data with HDD Regen and other tools on Hiren's Boot CD.
    edited October 2011
    Like I said, IF he can get BIOS to read the drive.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    Each time you power up the drive, you're damaging it. Long story short: If you were going to get anything from the drive; you would have by now.

Be wary of cheap "Pros" they nearly all rely on a) The fact that you have no idea what a hard-drive is (and it really isn't broken) and b) Hirens (which is exactly what you're doing anyway)

also: haha. backup backup backup backup backup. Shit man, i backup my backups backups and print important regulary just in case.