Change of heart and motivation

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited February 2012 in Life
I decided to go to bed pretty early last night. I'm talking 19:00hrs. For some reason my Uni work wasn't happening, and I was bored shitless. In doing so I was then able to set my alarm for 02:30hrs, hoping to, in my lucid state, do some work. I had an awesome lucid dream too, which I will write about in the relevant thread.

Anyway, I was still bored. Watching Blackadder the Third was a good way to pass the time, but I wanted more.
I had a letter to post.

So after a brisk shower and putting on of some baggy Army trousers and t-shirt, i went to post it, running all the way listening to this

I then thought about going further. Into town. Into myself and wanting to just push the boat out. A member here taught me about utilising my fear, and nothing better than walking past dark shadows cast by people in corners at 5am is better than that. On the way back to my Halls I was then confronted with a graveyard or steep hill.
I chose the former, sat atop a war memorial and listened to this. Very apt considering the amount of deceased around me and the fact I was plonked on a looming war memorial.

IMG_20111011_060455%20%28Medium%29.jpg

"Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those Generals and Emperors, so that in glory and triumph they can become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot"

After having a conversation with the deceased and riding out the goosebumps, I felt at ease. Not many people would sit in a graveyard at just gone 5am when it's pitch black. But I just focused my energy and any fears into positive thoughts, and could have easily stayed another 2 hours to watch the sun rise through the light patter of rain on my face and steaming shoulders (except I have lectures). All the crap I have endured the past few weeks, all the negative relations, all the self-doubt and anti-depressants that have made me worse and more paranoid. The clutter in my mind taking up and sapping my positive motivation.
Gone.
time.jpg

So, does anyone else here go for early morning excursions? I must say they are the best way to wake up.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Not sure why I haven't seen this thread before, but it was interesting to read and reminded me of the all-nighters I'd used to do with my friends. We'd often stay up all night and take a huge walk, chilling at someone's house until the early hours of the morning when we'd set off and walk back home again. I'm not sure what it is, but there's something which I love about being up and awake at about 5am, when the sun is just rising, everything seems crisp and fresh and there's barely a person in sight. I've yet to try venturing to a graveyard to watch the sunrise, but maybe that's something to try at some point in my life :D Thanks for the inspiration.
  • blamehoffmanblamehoffman Regular
    edited November 2011
    Great post.
    Could you elaborate on utilising fear to your advantage?
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited November 2011
    Your welcome...
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Great post.
    Could you elaborate on utilising fear to your advantage?

Just by sitting in a place, or doing something I would usually be scared of, I get fear. Anyone would, right? That feeling of unease and maybe some stomach churning along with goosebumps.

Well instead of running like a pansy and evading the situation, sit it out. Exercise discipline and realise that once you can sit out the situation, you are already over the first hurdle. Don't expect great results on the first time, but prolonged exposure to these things (which are different for us all) you will soon be able to tolerate fear which will otherwise scare other people, in this case sitting in a graveyard at silly o' clock.

Once you have the ability to control your fear and emotions associated with said fear, given a situation which would otherwise frighten someone into the fight or flight response, you can remain calm, collected and most times, come out on top because you have that inner discipline.

*tips hat to TDR*
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    ^This

There are certain exercised you can do that will help you achieve these results but remd is right on the money.

If you can learn to train with fear you can use it as a very powerful too. Also if you train while afraid when you need to react in real life while afraid it wont affect you as much. An important thing to realize thought is that you need to be afraid not scared there is a difference. Another point that needs to be discussed if you mentally train this way if can affect your mind in a negative. If you train in a state of fear you also need to find the time for a pleasant or peaceful outlet for your mind or you can become unbalanced and it has a possibility to make you lose control permanently.
    edited November 2011
    Like Jugg says RemadE, equal time in darkness and light.
    edited November 2011
    jugg wrote: »
    Another point that needs to be discussed if you mentally train this way if can affect your mind in a negative. If you train in a state of fear you also need to find the time for a pleasant or peaceful outlet for your mind or you can become unbalanced and it has a possibility to make you lose control permanently.

Very true. In a sense it's a mild form of mental torture, so a release is necessary. One method TDR taught me was to stare at a point on a wall between my nipples and navel, which never really scared me, or instilled fear, but increased my ability to almost perfect the "thousand-yard stare", which proves very effective when walking or going on a run.
    I turned from a floor-staring mopey guy into a focused individual who almost commands the pavement as I seem to be on a rampage, concentrating on an object in the distance and never blinking until I reach it.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited November 2011
    Please remade take serious note of the positive side. I have known a few people who have started on the path you are starting on, and if you don't have a good guide or if you study the negative exclusively it will fuck you up. There are not many practitioners who study like this, and there are reasons why. These are reasons why it inst really taught any longer either. I have know 2 people who have killed them selves, and one man who has gone totally bat shit crazy.
    edited November 2011
    Use your logic to create the fear at will. You will know when you have ti right when you are staring at the wall and the hair on your arms and legs stands up. But remember, to recall emotional memories from time in your life when you were truly afraid. The idea is to be able to call fear at will in times when there is nothing to fear. Thereby being the master of fear rather than it's slave. Once you can make the hair stand at will in public while talking to friends and loved ones reverse it while in that contralled fear state and you will know a peace that few can ever experience. Then you can say you have learned to begin to achieve the balance Jugg is speaking of. But fear is the key as it is one of the most primal powers available in our species and the easiest to tap into. Both fear and peace come from the same place as they are but oppostie sides of the same coin.
    edited November 2011
    jugg wrote: »
    Please remade take serious note of the positive side. I have known a few people who have started on the path you are starting on, and if you don't have a good guide or if you study the negative exclusively it will fuck you up. There are not many practitioners who study like this, and there are reasons why. These are reasons why it inst really taught any longer either. I have know 2 people who have killed them selves, and one man who has gone totally bat shit crazy.

Don't worry, I don't do it every day. Only about once a week. I like to use it when I'm running low on motivation and feel numb. I have a stong mental state, regardless of my wobbles, but thank you for your concern.

And TDR, I shall do that when I next get a session going on. I don't really plan them, rather if I am feeling up to it etc.
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited November 2011
    I know exactly what you mean. Here is a picture cunningly photoshopped to make it look like I am inside the roof space of a Northern Cathedral at 4am:

357puaa.jpg

Regardless of your own views on religion, there's something extra special about grandiose religious sites after hours. A thousand years of history below your feet, coupled with the heights, the sound of the wind and the salaried security guard below. There's something special there, even If you can't quite put your finger on it. Perhaps a solitary moment in a site with a long history or an association with dead people is a good trigger for a sense of perspective. Or maybe it's just the adrenaline you get from knowing you're doing something you shouldn't, that most people will never do. Meh. It's fun, even if it doesn't mean anything.
    edited November 2011
    WTF are you talking about in relation to this thread Meloncholy?
  • MeloncholyMeloncholy Regular
    edited November 2011
    Hmm. Maybe considering the rest of the thread it does like a bit of a non sequitur, but my post was a reply to the first post. Exploring at alone night, feeling the fear and adrenaline, gaining some sense of persepective and feeling the fears and worries that had been building up just melt away. I can relate.
    edited November 2011
    OK well now it makes a bit ore sense. I was just wondering is all, no bad juju or anything.
    edited February 2012
    I just thought I'd update this as things are looking up for me with a few steps I have taken which were pput in motion last Autumn, when I was breaking up with my latest ex. It sort of links in with this now infamous thread, however it's more mental-related, hence the addition here. Plus there's a rather nice picture at the end, so it's worth you reading.

After a long process, I was offered a space on a 14 week course where people similar to me (there were people there for extreme paranoia - she was a middle aged, middle class toker, bereavement, bipolar, borderline etc) to learn to cope with emotions and how we interpret/deal them learning a new "skill" each week. The course is only held twice a year so I felt rather privileged to be allowed on it. What struck me though, was how many Students from my University were there. And all my year - as I knew one of them from my work last year with the University (and she left halfway through which was odd. Might have freaked her out but I had no problems...)
    But anyway, out of the 12 or so of us, I found it shocking to see that it was hard enough to get a place on this programme, and I thought about how many more Students are suffering in silence about their mental health, be in anxiety, depression etc. I'm pretty open about my experiences and will gladly tell someone I meet the same night about myself as I don't see it as a big deal, but in contrast, many more I know say they have "issues" but don't talk about them.
    Anywhos, I have 13 weeks to go and have got some goals to work towards which will keep me on focus. Oh and as promised, here is the photo of the programme co-ordinator. Dfg, get your dick ready! And yes I had to blank out some parts. But hawt-damn. If ever there was a reason to be in a room full of loonies (and I mean proper loonies), this is it...
    Wahey%21%20%28Small%29.jpg

:cool: + :hai: + :fap:

I've currently been up for 24 hours, and out of which have spent about 20 of them doing University work. Determined (and happily) catching up on lectures I missed whilst in Hospital. Honestly, I'm writing 'till my fingers throb but I'm really enjoying it. I know the mood will crash, so I'm making the most of it right now, switching between essay plans and getting my Dissertation draft finalised for a pre-assessment. In a genuinely good mood which, on this level of productivity, doesn't happen often. Going to bed at 9pm and waking up at 2am = a quiet time to get work done, a good workout and early shower. Lush.

Right, back to work. And I say that with a smile on my face :)