Measuring.

chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
edited October 2011 in Life
Have you ever wondered why when you measure a piece of wood, mark it and cut it, it's never a tight fit?
The reason is, most people don't know how to use a tape measure.

women-tape-measure.jpg

Here is a typical tape measure. Most people measure a gap by putting the end of the tape up against a surface to be measured from. All good so far.

when transferring the measurement to say a piece of wood, the tendency is to hook the end of the tape over the end of the piece of wood. Now this is where the trouble starts. There can be 3 or 4mm difference between the outside of the end hook and the inside, they are usually curved. Also if the tape is old, the rivet holding it onto the tape can be loose enabling the hook to hook on at an angle.

The upshot is your cut piece of wood can be several mm too short or in the case of a loose hook, several mm too long.

To remedy this, either, if you are cutting a short piece, don't hook the tape over the end. Place the wood against a vertical surface and measure along the wood by placing the hook up against the vertical surface as you did when you measured the gap.

Or in the case of a long measurement, work out the difference between the inside and outside of the hook. You can do this by measuring say a couple of feet using the inside, then the outside of the hook and subtracting one from the other. You then have a measurement to add or subtract to correct the transferred measurement.

Comments

• juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    Nice Post! Im a sparky so I cant cut wood. I built a bird house once, and it got condemned by the city.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    That is what makes the difference between good work and great work is the details like this that you have explained. Nice thread, I am going to publish this as an article in Totse WordPress.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    A sparky. The bane of a chippy's life. Only one thing worse, the plumber LOL
    edited October 2011
    That is what makes the difference between good work and great work is the details like this that you have explained. Nice thread, I am going to publish this as an article in Totse WordPress.

Oh thanks, I did good then lol.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    LOL yup I have a big hammer and no idea how to use it.
    edited October 2011
    The one thing I dread Jug is when the building inspector comes round and see's all the nice C24 joists I lovingly cut to size, bedded in, chocked till they were as level as I could get and braced to perfection at equal distances. Then he looks at all the bloody holes the sparky and the plumber drills into them. What point is there in specifying C24 timber for the strength when some pillock comes and chops 1/2 way through it hahaha.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    Im guilty as charged....
    edited October 2011
    As an addendum to the measuring, can I just point out that most tradesmen will offer up the piece of wood wherever possible and mark it directly. It's quicker and more accurate.
    edited October 2011
    Would you like me to add that part to the article?

http://totse.info/diy/the-proper-way-to-use-a-tape-measure/
    edited October 2011
    Sure, there may be more, I often have afterthoughts lol
    edited October 2011
    Should you have any more just post them here in the exact format you would like them added or better yet edit your OP and I will simply update the article.
    edited October 2011
    Will do.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2011
    I will admit I fail at this, I have hard time building things but this is good advice. I usually measure things and I didn't know this was an issue. Thanks for this. I learned something today.