Re-finishing leather.

chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
edited October 2011 in Life
When dyeing leather a new colour, whether it be shoes, handbag or for the more adventurous, a leather suite, a common problem is that the new dye scratches or peels off all too quickly. The reason for this is that you are applying the dye over the top of the original finish. No matter how well you clean the leather, if you don't remove the original finish, the end result will never be satisfactory.

The correct method is to remove the finish and as much of the original dye as possible with a good surgical spirit. gentle rubbing with a soft cloth and copious amounts of spirit should get you back to the natural leather. Make sure the leather is dried out before you apply the dye. You then need to replace the finish, usually in the form of a wax, or a spray lacquer. There are many choices here, depending on the leather and it's use. I'm happy to answer individual cases if required.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    Will this work on a "fine" leather like say a lambskin coat?
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    Lamb skin isn't particularly fine as it is quite open grained. Is the finish on it shiny or matt?
    edited October 2011
    I guess it would be matte it is not like shiny like say patent-leather.
    edited October 2011
    Thing is with lamb, there is a possibility it's what's called a split. the hide can be split into 2 or 3 hides with a machine using a giant razorblade called a splitter believe it or not. the splits are rolled on one side to give the appearance of a grain. Now if you try stripping the finish from a split, there is every chance you can open the grain up and lose the rolled grain finish. Test this on a piece of the leather that is hidden. If you see fibres appearing on the surface then stop. In this case all you can do is gently clean the leather with a small amount of spirit and either dye it the same colour or darker. But be warned, lamb is like a sponge, it will drink dye lol. be careful it doesn't bleed through and ruin the lining.
    edited October 2011
    Thanks, one more question. This is black lambskin jacket that is sort of cut like a biker jacket and his some mold on it. Will the surgical spirit remove the mold and what exactly is surgical spirit? We may call it by another name in the states so I am not sure what it is.
    edited October 2011
    Yep the surgical spirit will remove the mould.

It's rubbing alcohol, ethyl alcohol-isopropyl alcohol mixture, although isopropyl alcohol works just as well.

If you want to keep the jacket black, I'd probably just clean it with the alcohol and then wax it with a good black shoe polish, making sure that you polish it with a damp cloth to work the wax into the leather. (damp so that the cloth doesn't just wipe the wax back off) then buff it up with a dry cloth to remove any excess wax. No need to dye really.
    edited October 2011
    OK, so pretty much what I used to due with my combat boots in the army then eh?
    edited October 2011
    Exactly, I can give you tips on buffing boots till you can see your reflection hahaha
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, SSgt Frank Young taught me that one in basic but he was nearly as friendly about it as you are ;)
    edited October 2011
    We have an army apprentice college near me, when I had the cobblers shop, I used to do a roaring trade on a Saturday buffing parade boots for the Sunday parade lol
    edited October 2011
    Man, cobblers are a dying breed. I used to go to one when I lived in Vegas to have my boots re-heeled every 6 months and resoled every year. I miss those boots.... They were this style.

1442x.jpg
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Great info. Actually, could you do a shoe polishing guide. May sound daft but I would love to polish my shoes so that I can see my face in them, that way when I wear them for concerts they look awesome! :) When I polish them it doesnt tend to look any different than before I started.... :(