jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
edited October 2011 in Help and Suggestions
Hey can we get the posts in the new posts section to stay 'new' for longer ... i just miss out on them sometimes and its a hassle going through the forums to find them ... also when new users go into it to see only two (or none) new posts could be a little off putting i guess

<3

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    I am not sure if that is a setting in the admin CP but when Dfg comes online I will point this thread out to him. One alternative is to select Today's Posts to view all posts in the last 24 hours.

Today.png
  • jehsiboijehsiboi Kanga Rump Ranga
    edited October 2011
  • HelladamnleetHelladamnleet Banned
    edited October 2011
    Dfg has fixed this.
    edited October 2011
    This new setting is no good. New posts now display posts from two weeks ago.
  • edited October 2011
    This change sucks balls - I just logged in to find 15 pages of new posts, which left me guessing how far back I'd need to go in order to find actually new posts. In my opinion, 4 pages is enough. If you can work out the amount of time it takes to generate 4 pages of new posts, you should set it to that. Or, just leave it how it was - I personally never saw a problem with it in the first place.
    edited October 2011
    It works properly now. The thing is it is handled by the DB instead of cookies. There are two ways you can clear up the anomaly caused by the change. You can clear your cache and cookies and wait for the old "New Posts" to fall off. At which point you will only see the New Posts that you have not viewed since your last visit. Or you can view the first page or two of New Posts to be sure you have seen all the posts that are actually new since your last visit and then mark all forums read. After that you will only see the actual threads that have been posted in since your last visit and once you view them they will actually fall of the New Post list unlike before.

In other words it is finally behaving the way it is supposed to but the change created a temporary hiccup that set the DB to show back like 2 weeks for everyone from the point in time the settings were changed. From my understanding this is because the DB is now handling the display new posts function on a per user basis instead of it being handled by cookies as before.

The massive 10 - 16 page New Posts display is just a very short term inconvenience that is unavoidable during the transition to the new method of displaying new posts. I used the second method last night and now the New Post function works better than ever for me as once I visit a thread that has been posted in since my last visit it nor longer displays when I click on What's New or New Posts unless someone actually makes another post in that thread after I have viewed it.
  • edited October 2011
    Hmm. It's "working" for me now, but that's not to say that I really like it that much. I used to enjoy being able to see all the threads I'd replied to, but I guess I can get used to it :)
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    I logged in today and was like "holy fuck, 13 pages of new threads up in this bitch?!" only to find there were only a couple as I had read the others. Just marked all as read and got a new slate. Threads don't tend to expire unless you log in.

My routine which may work for you:

edited October 2011
    You can still use Today's Post to get the view of the all threads in the last 24 hours, including the ones you replied to. Or you can simply look at your subscription list if you have subscriptions set up to subscribe you when you reply to a thread.
  • edited October 2011
    ^ That's exactly what I do. I check the new posts, go to the last page of them and open them in reverse order in new tabs. This way, they retain their original order and newer threads still end up on the top of the list to give them a chance to flourish, instead of being buried by older, bumped threads :)

Did that even make sense?
    edited October 2011
    Strangely enough, yes.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited October 2011
    I just clicked on mark all threads read and it works perfectly now. Good job fellas!