What is "crazy"?

edited July 2010 in Life
I think the best definition I've heard is like "the disassociation of the individual's perception from that of everyone elses", but that leaves open weird situations where you'd be crazy if you thought black people should be treated with respect in the 1700s....
So what's "crazy"?

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    Well the psychological definition would be 'social deviance.' Crazy isn't the proper term, but I'll use it. You're crazy if your behaviour is not in line with the majority of the population. However, since there is no such thing as being 'perfectly normal,' everyone is at least a little bit crazy.
  • LethargicaLethargica Regular
    edited July 2010
    Agree with Mayberry, anything that is not socially normal is considered "crazy" like being a nudist in the United States. In Europe however there are "restrictions" to being nude. Like you can be nude if it was more than 105 degrees outside (in spain). In america, people REALLY REALLY look down on nudity in public..for some reason.

situations where you'd be crazy if you thought black people should be treated with respect in the 1700s....
    So what's "crazy"?
    So what's "crazy"?

Respectfully, this flows to my main point: Every social group have separate social norms. A black person of course wants to be treated with respect, I'm sure all of them did, but is it crazy for them to think of that? of course not, however in a white society it would indeed be considered crazy for people to think that black people are treated with respect.

Something interesting: A steady amount of the Russian populace in Russia prefer Black people because Everyone is very pale in Russia. This would cause people to go to the extremes and date darker skinned people because it's out of the ordinary to see dark skinned people living in Russia (since most of the time it is very cold, cloudy, no sunlight). Something along the lines of that.
  • SatyrSatyr Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2010
    Crazy is when you behave different from the norm. You live according to the norm when you strive for the biggest production for/of the society, and when you are productive.

Thus, crazy is when you are in some way not willingto do your best to produce for society.
  • edited July 2010
    So, to bring up another idea, when people have say schizophrenia, or manic depression. It is observable that their bodies and brains are actually malfunctioning, or working less efficiently that everyone elses....thoughts on this?
    edited July 2010
    So, to bring up another idea, when people have say schizophrenia, or manic depression. It is observable that their bodies and brains are actually malfunctioning, or working less efficiently that everyone elses....thoughts on this?

Yes, it's the biological components of these illnesses. Brain patterns are vastly different from normal as are levels of chemicals such as neurotransmitters. Whether or not the biological changes is causing the psychological changes or vice versa is questionable.
  • edited July 2010
    Questionable, sure, but that is not to say they should be disregarded entirely. They may, even, have a causal relationship. Correct if I'm wrong, but this is simply not known at this time.
    edited July 2010
    Yeah that's what I meant. There's definitely a link, but nobody knows if one causes the other.
  • mashlehashmashlehash Regular
    edited July 2010
    Crazy is normal. Normal is crazy. Define normality to me first and then you can begin to question what is crazy.
  • edited July 2010
    To me, crazy is a combination of distorted perception of reality (Hearing voices, seeing things. Psychotic symptoms) and that tendency of some crazies not to be able to distinguish a minor incident like a disagreement or something from a life threatening situation.

In my opinion, if they've got a hair-trigger and they're seeing shit, they're "crazy".
  • SilosighbinSilosighbin Regular
    edited July 2010
    Crazy is such a vague term that I think can't/shouldn't be defined in any accurate sense. Mentally Ill instead perhaps? That can at least be defined in a professional manner.
  • CaesarCaesar Regular
    edited July 2010
    Crazy is when people start to get interesting.
  • edited July 2010
    Crazy is such a vague term that I think can't/shouldn't be defined in any accurate sense. Mentally Ill instead perhaps? That can at least be defined in a professional manner.

If you like, consider the following as synonyms:
    crazy
    mad
    nuts
    bonkers
    bananas
    mentally ill
    disturbed
  • MegaKushMegaKush Regular
    edited July 2010
    i hate how being crazy is so unacceptable in society. Like if i started talking to someone, turning random thoughts into words, they would call me "crazy" because my way of speech doesnt relate to itself. I like hanging out with crazy people because i can say what i want and they dont care
    edited July 2010
    MegaKush wrote: »
    i hate how being crazy is so unacceptable in society. Like if i started talking to someone, turning random thoughts into words, they would call me "crazy" because my way of speech doesnt relate to itself. I like hanging out with crazy people because i can say what i want and they dont care

You're not unacceptable to society because you're crazy. You're crazy because you're unacceptable to society.
  • FrYFrY Regular
    edited July 2010
    Crazy is not being able to function outside of your subconscious mind. Think about it, in a good working mind, you are able to access you inherited genetic memory and store house of information that is gathered as life goes on, In a functioning brain fluctuating between both haves of the brain becomes akin to blinking.

Think about it, of course people differ with how much time the spend in each side, without getting into all that I will just say, you have got your dream based sensory attracting person, and the intuitive, thinking and logic based people.

But in a malfunctioning mind, a person becomes stuck in there store house which starts to manifest as paranoid delusions, voices coming from outside your head, and suspicious of others motives.

Once a person is separated from the conscious control of of there mind the begin to looks track of what is real.

So I would say being crazy is like dream you cant separate from your everyday functioning reality. Don't forget your subconscious is your dream maker as well.