C# programming language questions?

Chris HansenChris Hansen Regular
edited October 2011 in Tech & Games
I have decided to learn the C# programming language and was wondering if any of you have experience with C# or any of the .NET framework. If you do any tips or anything would be awesome as I am new to this language. I also was wondering how similar it is to C/++? If I learn C# i am assuming I will be able to pick up the C language fairly quick. Is that correct?

Comments

• DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    I have been learning it at uni so I have some experience with C#
  • Chris HansenChris Hansen Regular
    edited October 2011
    How do you like it? What is your programming experience? Have you learned much of it that is useful? And info is awesome man.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited October 2011
    Well when I started learning it I had very little programming experience but I only know the very basics. Most of what I have learned is useful. Most of what I know so far is mathematical calculations and file access as well as using the graphics object within C#
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    C# is closer to Java than C/C++.
    All these languages are "C-like", so yeah, learning one is helpful.
    Often people start off with C or C++ first. Usually, Java is used as a teaching language - due to it's garbage disposal thingy.

C# was created to combat the threat of the java platform ("write once, run everywhere" is not good for MSs OS sales)

Going on a rant, there is an implementation of C# for linux called mono. The FSF advised that people don't use it, as it is potentially patent encumbered and they allege MS may sue us at any moment.

I have this book sitting on my shelf. TBO i haven't looked at it on depth but there are probably better ones.

can i ask why C# and how much programming experience do you have?
  • Chris HansenChris Hansen Regular
    edited October 2011
    I have very little programming experience. I guess you could say most of what I know is theoretical. I have studdied python and ASM and a few others but never really learned much from them. I got this book to start off and can do a little bit in the language that they start out with which is Liberty Basic.
    Then I ended up getting this book because I wanted to learn programming apps for the zuneHD. Since then the whole programming for zune has kinda fell by the wayside because I realized the zune was shit.
    Now what I want to do is program for things like linux (not my own distro but be able to modify the source and make decent usefull programs) and I been told instead of jumping into C/++ since I already have a manual on C# to start there and then pick up C/++ once I have the basics of C# down.

Does that make sense?
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2011
    Sounds like a plan. You know what's a good book series? Head First . torrent the book and keep it around.