How do i delete a system file in win7

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited November 2011 in Tech & Games
I have reason to delete a folder in the windows directory. I'm in the Admin account.

Right-clicking and selecting delete doesn't seem to work, apparently ms has decided some files and folders can't be deleted or modifed (even by Admin), it's probably a malware thing.

This is the error i'm getting:

rpN0Q.jpg

You need permission to perform this action
You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder.

How do i delete the the things ?

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    I managed to work it out:

right click on C: > Security then go to Advanced and then give Administrator "Full Control"; the default is "Read and Write".

The winsxs folder sure is big huh?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    Changing permissions work otherwise just disabling UAC works as well, another method is to make changes to a temp folder and then paste the folder in Windows Dir and it will then overwrite other files. I do this with hosts file from time to time. Bit of a pain in the ass but worth the effort.
  • edited November 2011
    Can you delete system files from the command line in Windows without any hassle? I've never tried it, but it might be another solution. Any thoughts?
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2011
    ^^^^^
    Nope, that was the first thing i tried.

EDIT: I really advise against disabling UAC. It's basically the windows equivalent of sudo. It's probably the sole reason win7 and vista don't have the show stopping malware xp did.

I did reduce the UAC level to only prompt me when apps are trying to make changes though, the default also prompts you when a user is trying to make changes.
  • edited November 2011
    UAC rules! Most people disable it when they set up their computer, which I don't understand. Sure, it stops those annoying prompts but it's much more secure than removing it completely. That said, there are ways for someone breaking into your system to actually bypass UAC. However, it certainly helps to prevent malware from making changes to your system.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2011
    Disabling UAC isn't really a good idea but I was referring to disabling it for a short amount of time. I don't feel comfortable using OS without UAC anymore :D