LFTR in 5 minutes

DfgDfg Admin
edited March 2012 in Tech & Games

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2012
    It is too bad they will ever let this be developed. It is too close to free energy and they fear that more than any other singe thing.
  • chippychippy <b style="color:pink;">Global Moderator</b>
    edited March 2012
    This was launched in September last year:

http://www.the-weinberg-foundation.org/

Also, take a look at China:
    China has officially announced it will launch a program to develop a thorium-fueled molten-salt nuclear reactor, taking a crucial step towards shifting to nuclear power as a primary energy source.

The project was unveiled at the annual Chinese Academy of Sciences conference in Shanghai last week, and reported in the Wen Hui Bao newspaper (Google English translation here).

If the reactor works as planned, China may fulfill a long-delayed dream of clean nuclear energy. The United States could conceivably become dependent on China for next-generation nuclear technology. At the least, the United States could fall dramatically behind in developing green energy.

“President Obama talked about a Sputnik-type call to action in his SOTU address,” wrote Charles Hart, a a retired semiconductor researcher and frequent commenter on the Energy From Thorium discussion forum. “I think this qualifies.”

While nearly all current nuclear reactors run on uranium, the radioactive element thorium is recognized as a safer, cleaner and more abundant alternative fuel. Thorium is particularly well-suited for use in molten-salt reactors, or MSRs. Nuclear reactions take place inside a fluid core rather than solid fuel rods, and there’s no risk of meltdown.

In addition to their safety, MSRs can consume various nuclear-fuel types, including existing stocks of nuclear waste. Their byproducts are unsuitable for making weapons of any type. They can also operate as breeders, producing more fuel than they consume.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/02/china-thorium-power/
    edited March 2012
    Too bad Red China will not exist in another 10 years.
    edited March 2012
    I doubt Red China exists now or has indeed for several decades.
    Now capitalist China is a different matter.
    edited March 2012
    I will give you that point but what I was referring to was more like what happened to the Soviet Union in 1991.
    edited March 2012
    Ahhh I understand now. Granted, but they have the advantage of hindsight, I suppose time will tell.
    edited March 2012
    China's main problem is that it's economy s in a huge unsupportable bubble not unlike Japan was years back. When China's bubble pops the current regime will collapse. It's economy is tight too tightly to the US consumer market which will continue to diminish should we not enforce fair and balanced trades and tariffs (N.A.F.T.A. and the most favored nation status that slick Willy Clinton handed out).