Wiping Data and probability

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited June 2012 in Tech & Games
I have a large amount of hard-drives i no longer use. I've been disposing of them. Having received a lot of used drives with data still on them in the past, I've been very careful to wipe my drives before i give or throw them away.

The way i do it, is by writing 0's over the drives 5 times (dcfldd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4M)

I've always been told 5 times is good enough, knowing how hard-drives work i've always thought twice was more than enough.

In the face of wiping so much data, I've decided to do some research; turns out i'm right.

Here's a table:

bfnxq0.png
remember 8-bits is one character. In court things must be proven "beyond reasonable doubt".

The paper in itself if pretty interesting: http://www.springerlink.com/content/408263ql11460147/fulltext.pdf

It goes on to specify old drives and new drives but the data is pretty much similar.

EDIT: The link seems to work in campus, must track the IP or something. Will upload it tomorrow.

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    So, in essence when I go to wipe things I should do it 5 times? But wouldn't that use up too much toilet paper?

On a side note, most secure erase programs do at least 1 pass. The Flame Worm/Trojan/GOD randomly writes data and then delete it's file thereby removing any trace. Hopefully, I would write about it in detail when I wake up.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited June 2012
    You can wipe as many times as you want, but after the third times you're talking about microscopic differences.

What you described is very similar to the shred utility, although i cant see how it can overwrite its own memory location without segfaulting before it completes.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited June 2012
    If you are disposing of them as opposed to giving them to someone you can always use one of the U.S. Department of Defense approved methods that I employed on a regular basis while on contract at N.A.S.A. Glenn in the early 00's. I would take them out the back door of the shop into the parking lot and lean them at a 45º angle against the parking curb like this one;

parkingcurb.jpg

I would then take a 5 pound sledge hammer with a chisel face on one side of the head and a short handle like this;
    ham%26egger.jpg
    And then just give it a couple of good hard whacks with the chisel side while it is leaning at the 45º angle and the entire thing, casing, platters, magnets, the whole nine yards will be a useless unreadable mess. Now was not truly a D.o.D. approved method strictly speaking. However there were two approved methods at out disposal at that time. The first and by far the most often used approved method to handle data security on HDD's that were being retired from the lab and being sent to auction or donated to a school was to run a 7 pass wipe with a program called GDisk. The only other method was to be used in the event a drive would not spin or could not be seen by BIOS. In this event the drives were to be shipped to a metal scrapper and shredded. That was not any fun as the shredder was not ours and nowhere near us. So instead we would usually take them apart and scarf up the magnets, and use the platters for parts on a mobile or some other goofy shit. But once in a while we would just get out Bertha, give thing a solid couple of whacks, and toss it in the dumpster.

• edited June 2012
    If I have something I REALLY want gone with no chance of ever coming back, I'll Gutmann (sp) it. That's a 35-pass overkill insane method of death. It takes it's toll on the disk platters but if it's a small file it doesn't take too long, and you can be pretty sure that the file isn't ever coming back. I think I've got my Ccleaner set to 3 passes, and for everything else I'll just do a regular delete.

Zeroing out HDD's before getting rid of them, DBAN is a good tool to use.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited June 2012
    You forgot the ultimate tool. Thermite, nothing can run from it.
  • edited June 2012
    Dfg wrote: »
    You forgot the ultimate tool. Thermite, nothing can run from it.

Okay, so if I REALLY wanted to get rid of a hard drive (this is all true. We did this when my Nan wanted to get rid of her computer...)

I'd run a 35-pass gutmann on the sensitive files, then zero out the drive with DBAN. I'd then take the thing apart and remove the internal components making sure to run those ultra strong neodymium magnets across the platters a few times. Then I'd scrape the fuck out of the platters with the screwdriver I used to take the thing apart with initially (yes, I've actually done this before, I'll see if I can find the pictures) and frisbee it all out of the window, into the back yard. This is where I'd call up my friend so that we could sit in the garden and take shots at the platters with his high powered air-rifle, before throwing the lot into a metal shredder.

Might as well have fun when you're destroying data :D
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    I always empty my Recycle Bin and clear my 'pooter with CCleaner with a 7-pass wipe. Can never be too paranoid with electronics these days.
  • edited June 2012
    RemadE wrote: »
    I always empty my Recycle Bin and clear my 'pooter with CCleaner with a 7-pass wipe. Can never be too paranoid with electronics these days.

If you want to delete something securely, don't use the recycle bin. I'm sure you understand how deleting a file conventionally doesn't actually delete the file, it just tells the HDD that the particular section of memory can be written to :thumbsup:

Stay safe!
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited June 2012
    Blah blah blah...:crazy:

ham%26egger.jpg=0% chance of data recovery
  • edited June 2012
    What if you do a shit job? Forensics might be able to get enough evidence out of the drive to convict you of that felony you committed ;) At least DBAN it first! Or you could put explosives on the end of the sledgehammer...
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Lol I mean I use CCleaner to empty my Recycle Bin.

If worst came to worst, I'd use the Thermite in my room to destroy my laptop HDD with a few hammer blows to the external Hard Drives and put them under the laptop so the thermite fucks them over, too. So what if it burns through the floor...
  • ArkansanArkansan Regular
    edited June 2012
    All of these methods sound like a lot of work. Old computers at my house become targets, we always have shit tons of ammo laying around so if I have one that needs disposed of I call my brothers and we have kickin good redneck time just shooting the damn things. I find my little Rossi .357 does a good job but my eldest brother would argue that his old piece of shite SKS works better. I heartily endorse this method as being the most fun.