Bought Seagate ST31000524AS 1TB 7200.12 Hard Disk

DfgDfg Admin
edited June 2012 in Tech & Games
This is my third Seagate Hard Disk. I originally wanted to buy WD Caviar Black but the price range wasn't in my favor. I am currently using SeaTool Long Generic test which does a sequential read through all the sectors. Then I am going to clone my current OS and move it to the new drive. I was thinking of doing a fresh install of Windows but apparently there are tons of Software's already installed and I would lose tons of productivity and time just getting system back. So, I have decided just to try the usual method.

Right now, out 8 SATA ports, I am using 6 of them. 5 Hard Disk and 1 DVDRW. It took me more than an hour just to install the Hard disk. I had to clean the system, take all the hard disks out and then rewire everything, redo the fans, clean the components and it was hell to be honest. I can see in future I would need to get a Server type casing if I am going to host 16TB of storage or I could get a NAS which honestly seems a lot practical now. I can have a Gigabit connection to it and access my future RAID setup with ease.

Originally I wanted to buy 2TB hard disk in Jan 2012 but thanks to the flood I couldn't the prices were extremely high when it came to Hard disk and even now they're still fucking high. But I had little choice in this matter, after careful research I bought this HDD. Let me show you my current HDD view.

HDDstate.jpg

Well, Windows 7 drive usaga becomes an issue when you're using Adobe suite and other programs, even though most of the program files are installed in the Documents drive. It's still NOT enough. Also, when you're downloading stuff, such as music, movies and tutorials and reference stuff, you practically need a bigger HDD. Also, you do have to work using lossless files.

I am using HDD Sentinal (Trial Version) just to monitor my HDD status. It's a good piece of software and if you're working with HDD, you should atleast try it.

Hdd%20view.jpg
It's mostly an early warning system that gives you an idea if something is wrong with your Hard Disk. Right now my HDD is being tested by SeaTools and you can see what kind of figures it's pulling in.

performancehdd.jpg

Compared to WD Caviar it's not impressive but it did cost me just 9000 RS instead of 12000 RS. You do pay a premium for extra speed but it doesn't matter to me anyway. My system rarely shutsdown and I keep things optimized as well. If I wanted speed, I would get an SSD but right now this will do.

The only problem I face is, I have slot for just 2 more Hard Disks. This means I would have to trash my two 320GB HDD's. I am thinking of using them in the NAS (which I will built myself) and adding two 2TB storage type hard drives or performance HDD's. So, in future I can max out 7 HDD's but I would need to get a bigger PSU only because of the connectors and yes a bigger System case or I can save money and built a NAS.

I will do a drive test using HD tune when the tests are done. Then I will use my Multi Boot CD and move C drive to the new drive and hope for the best.