Linux Mint 15 > 16 > 17 and then to Windows Server R2 2012

DfgDfg Admin
edited August 2014 in Tech & Games
Let's just say it was a fun and really annoying ride. For anyone looking to upgrade from Linux Mint 15 to 17, follow the instructions below.

Mint 15 to 16

$ sudo sed -i 's/raring/saucy/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list $ sudo sed -i 's/olivia/petra/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade $ sudo apt-get upgrade $ sudo shutdown -r now

Mint 16 to 17

sudo sed -i 's/saucy/trusty/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list sudo sed -i 's/petra/qiana/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade sudo apt-get upgrade sudo shutdown -r now

You will get some issues with 16 to 17, it will says don't use apt-get upgrade instead use apt-get -f install or apt-get install

You can try apt-get -f upgrade which I did. But just follow the install advice.

More instructions:
https://gist.github.com/hgomez/7074150

Now, the issues I had were simple, I wanted to use Zpanel but for the I needed the LTS version, secondly I had some odd issues, it wasn't playing nice with my Windows 7, I wanted to make it a monitoring hub + DLNA + File server and it epically failed.

So, now I am installing Windows R2 which can handle all of this and more. Plus with PRTG I can track devices and servers. This system is just a test bed atm. I am planning on adding a second system which will be NAS + Render + Monitoring + Torrent etc.

Basically a slow power system that can be left to run while the main system is offline.