IJW: Aladdin (1992)

I posted this on Reddit, I am currently reviewing Robin Williams movies, just paying him homage.

Link: http://www.reddit.com/r/Ijustwatched/comments/2dvqwp/ijw_aladdin_1992/

To say the loss of Robin Williams has affected me would be an understatement, he is someone that I always knew, never acknowledged in any way, and never considered him anyone special until his sudden loss. It hit me hard, I was taken by shock and utter surprise, and it’s one of the few moments in my life when I was close to shut down. It's like you're jolted hard and you face the reality.

Sure, he didn't knew me and yes people die every day, people who are more important than him, people who bring a lot more to the table than him, but to me, Robin Williams was special and his loss just didn't seem justified. To overcome my loss, I decided to change few things, I always loved listening to Stand Up shows, I think I wanted to be one but couldn't and making people happy is something I enjoy doing. On that level I connected with him.

I joined a group called 7 cups because of him, so I can listen and help others. I am not great but I do hope that I will make some difference. Keeping that in mind, watching anything with Robin Williams in it would be hard to go through for anyone with trigger issues but fortunately I am not one of them.

So, I just went ahead and downloaded all his movies and I plan to revisit them and review them one by one. This is the first in the line of many reviews. I am not a good reviews and yes some bias can be expected.

I first watched Aladdin back in 93-4 I think, it was fun, I sort of wanted to have a girl like Jasmine and I did watch the TV series, funnily enough I had no clue that Robin Williams was the genie until few days ago. Yes, I am thick headed but I don't really pay attention to voice artists (especially back then).

Watching this movie again was a pleasant surprise, it was funny, touching and filled with what's right and wrong. It has a cunning story, the characters will likeable, although one might say things become predictable but hey it's a kids movie.

What I loved was the whole backdrop of laws and divide between rich and poor, coming from Pakistan, I see that system still in place here, so it hits home on many levels especially when it comes to people living on the streets.
But again the highlight is the Genie, the all-powerful, loving and caring Genie. I think I missed tons of references when I watched the movie first time but now I can understand some of the references that Genie makes and that makes things more fun. Especially when it pays homage to other Disney characters (crap etc.).

Overall, this is a good movie to start with, it's sad to see the Genie leaving everyone and flying off into the air and be finally FREE, and I think that's the moment when you start to tear up. Highly recommended and a great film to pay homage to someone special as Robin Williams.

Sorry if this was long, I sort of needed to say it. Thanks.

p.s: I did join 7Cups, great community to be with.

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    We'll never see a Disney movie like Aladdin again. The cultural sensitivities nowadays would kill it in a heartbeat. A shame, those kind of films are always fun.

The genie in that movie makes a lot of sneaky references to modern culture in that film. Very well produced.
  • We'll never see a Disney movie like Aladdin again. The cultural sensitivities nowadays would kill it in a heartbeat. A shame, those kind of films are always fun.

The genie in that movie makes a lot of sneaky references to modern culture in that film. Very well produced.
    Amen, it was fun when people had the balls to talk about issues.