Pakistani Citizens in the Capital fighting for Justice and Change [Live Thread]

I posted this on Reddit but I am posting this here and get more things in.

http://www.reddit.com/r/internationalpolitics/comments/2dzva0/pakistani_citizens_in_the_capital_fighting_for/

They're two parties in Pakistan that were working towards true democracy, according to PTI/PAT the current Administration is corrupt and favors their own agents. There was an incident in Model Town where peaceful protestors were shot dead by the Government controlled Police.

The victims demanded justice in the form of FIR, that report was declined even when the court ordered to arrest the accused, this includes the current Prime Minister. Add this to the vote rigging and wide spread corruption and you have a recipe for disaster.

The protestors launched their march for freedom and were arrested, fired upon, thrown rocks at but in the end they didn't back down and went on marching in peace. The march started on 14th August and reached the Capital around 15-16th August, since then they have moved to Red Zone and now surrounded by Army, Ranchers, Police.

The Government is using force to ban channels, block roads and barricade people from joining the protest, however even their continued efforts, more people are flooding in.

Some of the channels are doing live broadcast about the event, one of them is ARY http://live.arynews.tv/ which has been blocked in different Cities due to it's coverage of the events.

The Government is creating propaganda and trying to create confusion, they have also made threats to TV channels to stop giving coverage.

But all in all, for once there is some real change, the outcome of people come out and being peaceful and demanding for Justice is overwhelming. I really hope the Government back down and goes with the Court Order and arrests the PM and also with this movement we may finally see a real positive change in Pakistan which we're has been praying for a long time.

Just look at the crowd, http://live.arynews.tv/ it's just amazing. I am currently close to that area and petrol stations are being closed, there is water shortage and I am certain I will lose access to the Internet as well.

p.s: I only linked to ARY source because it had live Internet transmissions, their are other channels but they're completed Biased and making up fake information. It's a sad day for Media in Pakistan as well. But there is still hope for us.

Update: The protestors have moved into the Red Zone, it's a massive crowd, the Army has given a show cause notice regarding this issue and it's advising the Government to resolve this issue.

Update 2: PAT leader Mr Qadri is going to have a second session of People Parliament which basically consists of people in the crowd, he is going to ask them what they want. As it stands he demands that the Prime Minister step down and get arrested along with 20 other accused. Then they want to dissolve the current system in place and bring a true reform.

This means a National Assembly created by the people for the people, they will use three different ways to do it, one of them is referendum. The two others will be discussed in the session which is few hours away. The News Coverage has been going on 24/7 btw.

On the other hand PTI leader Imran has stated that he will March into the Parliament and arrest Prime Minister Nawaz Shariff himself if he doesn't resign at once. This has sparked him his protestors who are growing in number as we speak.

The Military on the other hand has stated that it honestly does not want to step in and would prefer being left alone, however if the building such as Supreme Court etc are breached they will step in. The protestors don't want to create a conflict with the forces at all.

Things become more complicated as Prime Minister Nawaz Shariff who is elected for the 4th time (previously his Government was always taken out in this fashion, imagine the irony) has a record of being stubborn and not letting go. Considering that he got elected using massive Poll rigging and Pakistan has been ruled by two main parties who take turn getting elected, it would take a lot more than what we currently have to overthrow him.

The next few days are critical as Nation Wide step in has started and people are pouring into the streets. The leading factor this time is Youth which is vocal about their rights, Twitter/Facebook is being used continuously.

I must add that someone might come here and point at me for giving a wrong narrative but I am just reporting what I know, there is no doubt in my mind that the current Government and previous ones were corrupt and never worked for the poor and again Pakistani's have been labeled terrorists, the ill-educated but it's because of our Government that we're in this state, but hopefully true Democracy will prevail and for once in our History we will join the Developing Countries.

Also, both Leaders have vowed to create equal right for Women and to give equal rights to everyone regardless of Cast/Religion. I will update this thread more.

Comments

• SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2014
    I didn't realise PK, being mainly Muslim, still used the cast system. I thought the religion banned all that.

There is zero coverage of all this in the west btw.
  • I didn't realise PK, being mainly Muslim, still used the cast system. I thought the religion banned all that.

There is zero coverage of all this in the west btw.
    Well, it's more of a statuesque than a cast system but it's treated in the same way, Rich > Poor in all manners of life. It's basically a class system which functions as a cast system. Also, minorities get fucked anyway.

• Update 4:

A lot has happened since Update 2, I will briefly outline things.

The protestors are growing in number, both PAT, PTI are highly motivated and people are favoring them, however the Government has completely sealed the Capital.

The Police IG was suspended because he refused to take action against the protestors, he was swiftly changed with someone, Government wants to use force and damage the protests in anyway possible.

Rumors are circling about dedicated commandos and elite hitman trying to assassinate the PTI and PAT leaders.

PML-N (Elected Government (well so called)) workers have attacked ARY Media personnel and are on the streets creating a riot and aiming to hurt the peaceful protest. It's not the first incident the PML-N workers have been seen doing this throughout this march. Which shows their true colors.

The PM has refused to step down and is being stubborn as usual, PML-N accuses Imran Khan of using tactics which are against constitution, the media has called them out of this, because in the recent History they have been doing the same thing albeit with less numbers and more damage.

The Army is still backing off but if things escalate there is no stopping it.

PAT and PTI workers and protestors have vowed to take action if anyone tries to harm them as in using force and trying to hurt them.

US made statements in favor of the current Government and PTI Leader Imran Khan quickly responded to them, it's the first time in History of Pakistan that a leader of any party has openly opposed US in this fashion, Imran basically told them to keep their involvement to themselves they have no concern in this matter.

Now, US has released a statement saying they're closely watching the proceeding.

It's evident to anyone with an open eye that the current elected Government is corrupt and is trying everything to destroy any chances of real reforms. It's also exposing other parties which have taken a stance against the protestors as in public.

A full blown propaganda campaign has been started by the Government which is seen reportedly making life hell for people by blocking and stopping supplies and than blaming the protestors for it, although the protestors have proven time and time again they're not violent and not hurting anyone and just asking for their rights.

Also, the Government workers saying that this Protests is against Democracy which is funny considering a true Democracy wouldn't have allowed this state in the first place.

ARY/EXPRESS News has lodged an FIR against 18 people who have attacked their reporter, it should be noted that a verified anti-state channel GEO had one of it's reporter beaten and quickly the parties joined in and protested against it, it seems justice is only allowed for people who favor the Government and are untouchables.

I have been following the news closely and I honestly people should just get up and get their rights because it's certain the current Administration doesn't favor true Democracy or reforms.

Oh btw, I forgot to mention, the protestors also want to prosecute people who are and were involved in corruption and stole money from Government funds, this means all the Swiss and off shore accounts held by current PM and previous PM.

More updates soon, the chance of Civil War and Army take over is increasing.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    Pakistani military Coup d'état FTW
  • Nah not really.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Pakistani_coup_d'état
    Yeah that wasn't good, but this time chances are less it will go that way (hopefully)
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    It's gon get ugly bro, leave...