Big Ol' List of Free Games
Taken from here:
This is by no means a comprehensive list, but rather free games I enjoy or look fun. I purposely left out most MMOs and flash games and wrote this in no particular order.
Let me know if I’ve made any mistakes in spelling, links, or information. I’d also love to update this list with any games you recommend.
Finally, some of these games require other free software, like DOSBox to play. It should be clear on each game’s website if this is necessary. If not, let me know and I’ll put it in the list.
* The Elder Scrolls (Arena/Daggerfall) - The first two Elder Scrolls games.
* Ultima 4 - A classic Fantasy RPG.
* Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire - A jungle adventure.
* Ultima World of Adventure 2: Martian Dreams - Steampunk space travel.
* Tales of Maj'Eyal - A beautiful fantasy roguelike emphasizing role-play.
* Dink Smallwood - A humourous old PC Zelda-like game. Lots of mods available.
* UnReal World - Low-fantasy roguelike focusing on historical realism.
* System Shock - A classic rebuilt with mouselook.
* Magebane 2 - Help 3 monks find an amulet.
* The Spirit Engine (1/2) - Sidescrolling adventures.
* Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden - A tribute to JRPGs & Space Jam.
* Elona - A pretty Japanese roguelite. Elona+ is an extensive mod for it.
* Ahriman's Prophecy - An epic inspired by Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger.
* Summoning Wars - A 3D action game with single and multiplayer modes.
* OFF - A surreal and complex French adventure, translated to English.
* Cave Story - The definitive indie game.
* Mari0 - Super Mario Bros. with a portal gun.
* Journey to the Center of Hawkthrone - The game from Community. Made by redditors.
* N - Arcadey ninja action.
* I Wanna be the Guy - Very difficult with free sequels.
* Spelunky - Hunt for treasure. Here is an unofficial bug fix version.
* You Have to Win This Game - A metroidvania with a neat visual style. Also on Steam.
* Zineth - Reminiscent of Jet Set Radio. Try and reach the moon.
* Cybermedic - Similar to Zineth, but with more goals.
* Iji - A 2D shooter.
* Within a Deep Forest - Atmospheric sidescroller, but short.
* Knytt/Knytt Stories - Made by the creator of Within a Deep Forest.
* Maldita Castilla - Similar to Ghosts'n'Goblins.
* Neverball - Similar to Super Monkey Ball.
* Under the Garden - A survival simulator. See the creator's other free games too.
* Street Fighter X Mega Man - Mega Man fights the street fighters.
* In Ruins - An ambient experimental game.
* Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - Very popular example of the genre.
* Dwarf Fortress - Complex, strategic, and not a roguelike in the usual sense.
* Rogue Survivor - Survive a zombie apocalypse.
* Angband/Zangband - Angband is based on the lore of Middle Earth. Zangband is newer and based on The Chronicles of Amber.
* NetHack: Falcon's Eye - A 3D overhaul of the classic NetHack.
* Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Survive in an apocalyptic world.
* DoomRL - Based on the game Doom.
* Castle of the Winds - 2 part game based on Norse myths.
* Mercury - Half roguelike, half arcade game.
* Red Rogue - A gory sidescroller.
* Brogue - Controlled by mouse movements.
* Grand Rogue Auto - Based on the Grand Theft Auto franchise.
* King's Quest (1/2/3) - Classic point-and-clicks.
* Beneath a Steel Sky - Dystopian point-and-click.
* Transcendence - A top-down space epic Roguelite.
* Treasure Adventure Game - Sail and treasure hunt in 2D. Also available on gog.com.
* Broken Sword 2.5 - Uncover a Templar conspiracy in this pretty point-and-click.
* The Art of Theft - Stealth-based 2D game.
* Naev - Top-down, open world space combat and trading.
* Zelda Classic - Play the original Legend of Zelda, fan games, and make your own.
* Quest for Glory II - Classic Sierra game remade.
* Flight of the Amazon Queen - Point-and-click inspired by movies from the '40s.
* Dragonsphere - Fantasy point-and-click.
* The Wager - A treasure hunting game.
* Heroine's Quest - A newer point-and-click based on the classics.
* Gravity Bone - An artsy, noir, blocky game. Highly acclaimed.
* Deity - An isometric stealth game.
* The Silver Lining - An unofficial sequel to the King's Quest series.
* 0 A.D. - An Age of Empires 2 clone.
* FreeCiv - A Civilization clone.
* FreeCol - A Colonization clone.
* FreeOrion - A Master of Orion clone.
* Battle for Wesnoth - Turn-based fantasy like in Fire Emblem, with lots of additional fan material.
* Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe - A Transport tycoon clone.
* Unknown Horizons - A city builder similar to ANNO..
* Black Market HD - A space trading game.
* Atomic Tanks - A Scorched Earth clone.
* Scorched 3D - Scorched Earth in 3D.
* Command & Conquer (Tiberian Dawn/Red Alert/Tiberian Sun) - The early C&C games.
* A Nation of Wind - A pixelated game similar to Populous.
* Reprisal - Another homage to Populous, expanding tribes in a small world.
* UFO Alien Invasion - A game similar to X-Com.
* 1821: The Struggle for Freedom - Play through the Greek Revolution.
* Nitronic Rush - A bright and flashy racer.
* Rigs of Rods - Driving simulator with soft body physics.
* Rule the Rail! - Build railroads and then ride them.
* MTBFreeride - A dirt bike simulator.
* Flightgear - High quality flight simulator.
* Armagetron Advanced - A Tron lightcycle game.
* Trackmania Nations Forever - Drive on walls and on other crazy tracks. More content is available by purchase.
* VDrift - Concentrates on drifting racing cars.
* Racer - A car simulator.
* Torcs - A regular racing game.
* Death Rally - Blow up opponents in this classic remade.
* X-Moto - A 2D motocross game.
* Rise of Flight - A WWI flight simulator. More content is available by purchase.