NASA Confirms Evidence That Liquid Water Flows on Today’s Mars

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited September 2015 in Spurious Generalities
When there's water there's life?
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/15-195_perspective_2.jpg
New findings from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) provide the strongest evidence yet that liquid water flows intermittently on present-day Mars.

Using an imaging spectrometer on MRO, researchers detected signatures of hydrated minerals on slopes where mysterious streaks are seen on the Red Planet. These darkish streaks appear to ebb and flow over time. They darken and appear to flow down steep slopes during warm seasons, and then fade in cooler seasons. They appear in several locations on Mars when temperatures are above minus 10 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 23 Celsius), and disappear at colder times.

“Our quest on Mars has been to ‘follow the water,’ in our search for life in the universe, and now we have convincing science that validates what we’ve long suspected,” said John Grunsfeld, astronaut and associate administrator of NASA’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington. “This is a significant development, as it appears to confirm that water -- albeit briny -- is flowing today on the surface of Mars.”
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-confirms-evidence-that-liquid-water-flows-on-today-s-mars/

Sailors fighting in the dance hall
Oh man!
Look at those cavemen go
It's the freakiest show
Take a look at the Lawman
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
He's in the best selling show
Is there life on Mars?

Comments

• Not sure if they mentioned it above in that article, but they think it's salt water. If they find microbial life it's pretty much going to prove life in the universe is probably ubiquitous.

I still don't see terra forming happening anytime soon. No magnetosphere.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    yeah it's salt water. They're having trouble working out how to investigate life, they don't want any earth pathogens that accidentally came with the rover contaminating the sample.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    "Stronger Evidence" In other words what they're saying is, it not conclusive proof. What more do they need? To rub their penises on the surface of mars?
  • Pretty much. They have pretty much guessed there was water there for forty years but they finally got around to deciding they have enough evidence to say they consider it settled. Right in time for the movie the Martian
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    Gen_Why wrote: »
    Pretty much. They have pretty much guessed there was water there for forty years but they finally got around to deciding they have enough evidence to say they consider it settled. Right in time for the movie the Martian
    All they need to do now is guess there are fish in them thar waters and make it the full package.

Fuck yarrr! Bring that movie on, I'm ready for it!

• edited October 2015
    I was listening to coast to coast and heard something fascinating. Scientists have figured that either the ice or debris, of the rings on Saturn, is supposed to move further away from the planet. Well they discovered it's moving closer. They are speculating there is a giant body of some sort deep within Saturn and they think it's revolving once every 7 hours.

Can you picture a solid core in Saturn moving that fast??? That's insane. I think it's either a solid core or the gases are somehow going into super spin cycle near the center where they collapse within themselves.

One of my favorite sci fi books, "the algebraist" posits the theory that the best place to put a worm hole is in a la grange point. It's kind of a spoiler but towards the end they find out advanced life forms have been using natural worm holes in the center of gasey giants like Jupiter as wormholes.

I mean think of the mass involved in a planet full of nothing but gas that size. What happens at the center where the gravitational forces are absolutely tremendous? Does it tear a fabric through space/time? Is that what's pulling in debris from saturns rings?