The Official Sex Toy Thread

fanglekaifanglekai Regular
edited August 2010 in Life
Sex Toys: A Guide
*This thread contains lots of high res images, so please be patient while they load.*

Sex toys can be fun and practical. Some are good for solo use; others can spice up things between partners. Some can do both. This thread will serve as a guide for picking out sex toys and will include my personal opinions of the toys. Some of the high res pictures include a quarter to indicate scale.

Lube

Lube is quite possibly the most important sex aid there is. It's not necessarily a sex toy, per se, but it can be. Lube is required for dildos, butt plugs and masturbation sleeves. There are several kinds of lube. Water-based lubes are safe for condoms, but these dry out quickly. Water-based lubricants are safe for all types of sex toys as well as vaginal and anal sex. Silicone-based lubricants provide a slicker feeling and are waterproof, so if you want to use water with your sex toys you can do so. Silicone-based lubes do not evaporate and don't get readily absorbed by the skin, so they last a lot longer than water-based.

Do not use petroleum-based lubes with latex condoms or sex toys. Petroleum-based lubes are good for anal sex, but not being able to use a condom with this type of lube means you shouldn't be having sex with a partner you don't trust.

A good guide on lube can be found here: http://www.womensweb.ca/health/repro/safesex/lube.php

Unscented, "normal", water-based lube. This is your typical lube. Walgreens sells a nice one that comes in a gel form. It won't harm condoms and is safe for anal or vaginal use and it's easy to wash off. The Walgreens brand lube is my favorite because it's versatile and only costs a few bucks for the tube, which lasts a long time.

Warming lube. Some types of lube provide a warming sensation, which can be pleasurable during vaginal sex or masturbation. For some women the warming sensation is uncomfortable. KY Warming Sensations, in my opinion, sucks. This kind of lube is best suited to male or female masturbation, and should only be used for vaginal sex if you have tried a small amount to make sure it won't cause a painful burning sensation. Personally I do not like warming lube for anything other than masturbation. It smells like chemicals, making it a poor choice for an intimate moment.

Vaginal Dildos

This pink jelly dildo is 7'' and pretty big in circumference. It might be uncomfortable for some girls, but it's a fun toy to include in your repertoire. It can be used solo or with a partner. If you're into anal sex, using a vaginal dildo while performing anal penetration can be fun. Remember to use lots of lube. For most people, a vaginal dildo will be too large for anal use, so for that we have anal dildos. Dildos come in jelly, plastic and glass. Glass is the most expensive and arguably the best, because glass dildos can be used with any lubricant and are non-porous.

7'' pink jelly dildo:
P1000155.JPG

Anal dildos

Anal dildos function the same as vaginal ones, but for your ass, obviously. They're typically smaller in circumference and length. Some are textured, some are smooth. When choosing an anal dildo, make sure to pick one that isn't too large. You can always work your way up to a larger size, but if you pick one too large right off the bat it will be uncomfortable and painful. Anal dildos can be used during male masturbation, whether solo or with a partner, to achieve a more intense orgasm. They can also be used on females during vaginal sex to mimic the sensation of double penetration. Anal dildos require lube.

Pink jelly anal dildo:
P1000156.JPG

Green jelly anal dildo:
P1000165.JPG

Butt plugs

Butt plugs are meant to be inserted into the ass and stay there during sex or masturbation. They range in size from very small to goatse-sized and beyond. Typically you'll want to start small and work your way up. Butt plugs often have a suction cup on the bottom to aid with insertion. Butt plugs aren't meant to function like anal dildos. They go in and stay put. You need to choose one with a shape that will allow it to stay inserted.

Small butt plug:
P1000153.JPG

This one isn't the right shape to stay inserted. One with a larger diameter at the lowest point of insertion (above the base and the narrow part right above that) is required to stay inserted on its own.

Large butt plug:
P1000157.JPG

This one is pretty big. Most people will need to work their way up to it with some other toys first. Notice how this butt plug is very wide and then becomes narrow suddenly before you get to the base. The width of this plug at its lowest point of insertion will allow it to stay inserted.

Anal beads

Anal beads can be smooth or textured and made of various materials. There are many sizes available.

Small anal beads:
P1000152.JPG

These are a textured jelly type. It's unlikely that this will break off during use like beads on a string. Their textured design provides pleasure, but can require extra cleanup if you weren't prepared for their use (i.e., you get shit on them). I don't recommend these beads because of their textured design. Get some that are smooth.

Masturbation sleeves

Masturbation sleeves are typically for solo use by males. You apply lube and then use the sleeve as an aid in masturbation. The textured ribbing makes for a pleasurable sensation. These toys will wear out with use.

Jelly sleeve:
P1000159.JPG

P1000169.JPG

This sleeve has a textured ribbing inside. It's pleasurable, but makes a squishing noise when you use it.

Silicone sleeve:
P1000158.JPG

P1000166.JPG

This sleeve has 2 holes for insertion. It's designed to look like a miniature pussy and ass, and even has a pubic hair design on it. The 2 holes provide different sensations: the ass one is smooth, the pussy one is textured.

Bondage

Sportsheets under the bed restraint system:
P1000160.JPG

Yes, you can turn your bed into a bondage playground. I had to buy this because of the awesome tag line.

51pykwu9g%2BL._SS500_.jpg

The pieces, photo courtesy of amazon.com.

P1000149.JPG

P1000151.JPG

These pictures show one of the 4 cuffs. Notice how the you can adjust the velcro cuff to fit the wrist, and there is the adjustable strap to adjust the length of the nylon strip that serves to tie the system together. You can shorten or lengthen the strap for all 4 cuffs, so you can allow more or less movement. The 4 cuffs can be positioned either on the top and bottom of the bed for a vertical body position or on the sides for a spread eagle position.

Set it up! It's really easy and should take 5 mins. Then fuck. It's a fun and easy way to do light bondage. I say light bondage because you can get out of it if you need to by pulling really hard, but it does the job pretty well. For the price it's a great toy. If you're afraid to try anything else, this one is a nice introduction to sex toys. It's probably my favorite toy. If for some reason your partner leaves you tied up in this, you will be able to get out if you need to. If you don't trust your partner enough to use Smith & Wesson police grade handcuffs, this toy is still fairly safe.

My collection:
P1000171.JPG

Purchasing Sex Toys

Sportsheets under the bed restraint system: http://amzn.to/9haEcr

All of these toys were purchased on amazon.com. If you have a .edu email you can sign up for a free year of amazon prime at amazon.com/student. Amazon prime gives you free 2 day shipping on eligible items (anything sold by amazon themselves or if the item is "amazon-fulfilled".) If you sign up for the free year of amazon prime with your .edu email you can get sex toys delivered to you fast.