stealing Wi-Fi

ScuDScuD Regular
edited September 2010 in Tech & Games
maybe this belongs in bad ideas..?

my friend is looking to tap into one of the many wireless network's in his neighborhood to get free internet. they are all "secure". hypothetically speaking is there even any way he can tap into a secure network?? what would be involved. he has a very powerful wireless card.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Social engineering > get password > you're in

Also, make sure he's behind 7 proxies so he can't get backtraced :o
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited September 2010
  • AM33NAM33N Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    If they have their wireless network secured via the WEP or WPA protocol, your chances to crack it are very high, in fact you can crack it. Do your homework and search around for more info. Learn to use backtrack as the above member mentioned.
  • megamanmegaman Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    though when you do get the passwords don't do anything like banking since they can see what you're doing if they know how to
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    a lot of people, like my neighbour just has "admin" as their password :confused:
  • AmieAmie Regular
    edited September 2010
    megaman wrote: »
    though when you do get the passwords don't do anything like banking since they can see what you're doing if they know how to

As long as you use an SSL connection (make sure it says https in the adress bar), all they can see is the adress of the site you're visiting. No way for them to see what you're sending to the site or what the site is sending to you, so no way for them to do a man-in-the-middle attack or get any sensitive data off the transmission.

The weakest link (actually the only link weak enough to worry about) in netbanking is the computer you're using. You need a secure, up-to-date OS and browser, a good up-to-date anti-malware suite with realtime protection and a decent firewall running. I'm perfectly fine with netbanking on somebody else's network or a wifi hotspot, as long as I'm on my own laptop, but I won't even check my email on a computer that isn't mine (or of somebody I really trust, and there's few of those out there).
  • edited September 2010
    A few people have mentioned it before, but yes. Use Backtrack Linux... And then follow this guide.