Marvelous Melbourne

AltindAltind Regular
edited February 2012 in Life
Any from Totse been to Melbourne?

Well I'm absolutely bored shitless so I am going to make a thread just for little old Melbourne ... you never know, it may make you want to visit.

Melbourne

Melbourne (pronounced "Melbun", not "Mel-born"), with a population of just over 4 million, makes it it is the largest city in the state of Victoria, and second largest city in Australia. Melbourne was founded in 1835 by settlers from Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania). It was named by governor Richard Bourke in 1837, in honour of William Lamb — the 2nd Viscount Melbourne. Melbourne was officially declared a city by Queen Victoria of England in 1847.

The discovery of gold in Victoria in 1851 led to the Victorian gold rush, and Melbourne, which provided most service industries and served as the major port for the region, experienced rapid growth. The economic boom that came with the Victorian gold rush peaked during the 1880s and Melbourne had become the richest city in the world and the second largest city in the British Empire, after London.

Nowadays Melbourne is a centre for the arts, commerce, education, entertainment, sport and tourism. It is the birthplace of cultural institutions such as Australian film (as well as the world's first feature film), Australian television, Australian rules football, the Australian impressionist art movement (known as the Heidelberg School) and Australian dance styles (such as "New Vogue" and the "Melbourne Shuffle"). It is also a major centre for contemporary and traditional Australian music and fashion. Melbourne is often referred to as the "cultural capital of Australia" and "sporting capital of the World".

I won't bore you too much with my words, so here's a few pictures and videos.

Comments