Lurk More or Too Much Lurking

D7D7 Regular
edited October 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I don't know why but for some reason I prefer to lurk than to post. Giving a reply in a thread without any content in my post makes me feel stupid. I know without posting a community won't grow still I felt uncomfortable posting and replying everything I read here. Most of the time I just read the new post and stuff but lately my lack of post count makes me feel bad.

I believe there's some lurker in here too. So any lurkers there? Or there's just people that overposting?

Comments

• GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    Lurked totse for many years. Finally signed up on zoklet. Then Migrated here once I saw the skin, and the fact that it was slobbering all over new member cock.
  • edited October 2010
    I dunno. I don't enjoy lurking on boards like this because I feel that we need the fresh content and contributions to actually get somewhere. Once we have more people posting, then you can afford to lurk. That's just me though.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    It's strange; I've been the exact same for many years on many sites and it took me a while to start posting frequently here. Almost all my posts are without merit, but for some reason you just become comfortable with it; you become less concerned with the fact that your posts are timeless and are viewed by everybody - instead totse just becomes a medium in which you converse amongst other posters - fuck who's lurking and what they think, you know?

It gets to the point where you become so accustomed to looking at the site that the design and format details dissolve and all you see is ideas, kind of like reading a good novel. If my posts are shit and people begin to comment on it, then yeah I'll cut down but so far nobody seems to have a problem.
  • edited October 2010
    Everyone is who they are, and who they are is expressed in the forum via their posts. If you don't post, no one will notice you. If you do post, you become known on the forum.

No one really minds if you lurk or not, but the outcome is slightly different. I much prefer posting and being a part of the community :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited October 2010
    I post and lurk less :p. OP, you should start posting one or two threads per day, it will make you feel more comfortable.
  • edited October 2010
    Hell, even a couple of posts per day would be a good start. It's understandable to feel as though you don't fit in, especially at a place like this. I dunno, after a while it comes naturally. It's like when you start a new school :D
  • D7D7 Regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, I guess it won't hurt to post at least once a day
    But posting a thread everyday seems too much for me.
    I'm planning to post a guide but it doesn't seems good atm.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, I guess it won't hurt to post at least once a day
    But posting a thread everyday seems too much for me.
    I'm planning to post a guide but it doesn't seems good atm.

Keep working on your guide! Even if you think it sucks, other people might find it interesting. If you need help with it, I'm sure you can ask around.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah you'd be surprised - you don't get ridiculed nearly as much as you'd imagine here... in most part the community here is very supportive.
  • edited October 2010
    Most of us right now are interested in the future of the site, so we're all VERY supportive around here :D
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited October 2010
    man, i hate making new threads. i try to post as much as i can, but ive found myself doing it less and less
  • edited October 2010
    Mantikore wrote: »
    man, i hate making new threads. i try to post as much as i can, but ive found myself doing it less and less

You have to find a balance between making threads and replying to others. If you push the new threads too far, you'll end up making shitty ones.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    As long as you're not an acolyte, there's nothing to be afraid of...
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    After I registered on totse I lurked for ages. The place was kind of sacred in a way. It had its own vibe and I had to learn how to fit in so I didn't get the shit flamed out of me. We aren't at that level yet here, so feel free to post. I very rarely made threads on totse, but it's nice to make them here. We need content, and the only way this place will grow is if people make new threads and reply to others.
    edited October 2010
    I never reply to threads, i'm definitely a lurker :o

Yeh, posting is for faggots with no life.
  • GumboGumbo Regular
    edited October 2010
    Just get drunk or high once or twice, and spend the entire time posting. If somebody rips on you just tell them to get fucked. After that, it's easy.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited October 2010
    I post a lot more now. Before I lurked moar than I posted.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    I know right :o that's why i'll probably why i'll always be a new arrival :(

Me too :(
  • electric wizardelectric wizard Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    Ive been a member of totse and zoklet for about six years and in that time have accumulated less than 3000 posts
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited October 2010
    Often times I lurk but I will provide my part on a forum. Bystander effect makes forum fail.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited October 2010
    I lurked on Totse, but never posted. I lurked on Zoklet and had 2 posts. I started off on Totse.info as just a lurker but then I tried to contribute what i could. If everyone just lurks when a site is new then it won't get anywhere.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    What I really dig about totse.info is the lack of the 'veteran'. Unless somebody announces otherwise or you are familiar with a screen-name; there is a lot less elitist circles and you get treated accordingly. STFU acolyte is good humor here because we are all new, the forum is new and for the most part; the content is too. It will take time to build up to what we once were and a good way to achieve it is closing the dispersion of members from acolyte vs. veteran to simply contributing members.

Everybody is a lot more chillin here too..
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    stres wrote: »
    What I really dig about totse.info is the lack of the 'veteran'. Unless somebody announces otherwise or you are familiar with a screen-name; there is a lot less elitist circles and you get treated accordingly. STFU acolyte is good humor here because we are all new, the forum is new and for the most part; the content is too. It will take time to build up to what we once were and a good way to achieve it is closing the dispersion of members from acolyte vs. veteran to simply contributing members.

Everybody is a lot more chillin here too..

True. I just tell acolytes to STFU because it's totse tradition and we cant be true to totse without i being said.
    edited October 2010
    I have STFU pictures for all user levels :D
  • LMSLMS Regular
    edited October 2010
    I lurk often. Don't wanna become a post-whore.
  • stresstres Regular
    edited October 2010
    ^^ but you'll be my regular whore yus? I hurd u have b00bs.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited October 2010
    If you do become a whore, I'll be your pimp.
  • electric wizardelectric wizard Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    ^^I remember you, were you always electric wizard?

I was also called Crippled Lucifer on totse, and them moved back to this name on Zoklet