Locket from "The Illusionist"

1357913579 Death Cog Machine
edited February 2011 in Life
Really bored on instructables and I find two guides on how to make a rather interesting locket from a movie I've never seen. It's rather intricate for a locket, and since I just downloaded Autocad 2010 (Holy shit huge upgrade from 2000), I thought I'd model the locket in 3d and try to make one out of aluminum or 3d print it in plastic on Monday.

Updates once Monday rolls around...

The instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Illusionist-Heart-Locket/

Another detailed article on the construction: http://cranitorium.com/aneurysm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=50

15880672.png

What I made. 2010 makes 2000 look like a piece of shit, took me all of half an hour to figure out most of the 3d modeling commands, everything seems to be where it logically should be (Last time I tried to model anything, I opened solidworks and it took me 10 minutes to make a cylinder).

Comments

• Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited November 2010
    How's the movie?
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited November 2010
    I see you downloaded a good cad program. I still like inventor better though.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I decided to see what I was missing after you laughed at Acad2000, I'm happy I did. First 3d modeling program I've ever used where I didn't need to look up how to do everything, all the options seem to be where I'd think they logically should be. What's the difference between autocad and inventor? I'll probably torrent that next.
  • robinstokkelrobinstokkel Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    Hi there,

I would like to have the CAD file from the great locket you've made. Could you sent it to me please? I'm a n00b in 3D modelling and I wanted to make this locket!

Please send me a private message for my e-mail.
  • SuburbanSuburban Semo-Regulars
    edited February 2011
    I would like to have the CAD file from the locket you've made. Could you sent it to me please?

Please send me a private message for my e-mail: [email protected] PLEASE:)
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited February 2011
    I'll look for the file, but it didn't work properly. I didn't get the tolerances correct for the parts fitting together. I think I'll remake it correctly, though. I did get it semi-working at one point, but it was using mis-matched pieces from one of 3 attempted prints I did.

Might even try it tonight, been looking for something to attempt to design in Inventor. Over the last few days I've been attempting to make this locket ( http://www.instructables.com/id/Vintage-Locket ) and it's going extremely well, so it might be worth looking into if anybody here is interested, I've started taking pictures and am going to post a guide with a few improvements on it here in a few days.

I'll be back with the new file probably in the next few days.