Arizona congresswoman and others gunned down at event

edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
A congresswoman from Arizona was shot point blank in the head and killed on Saturday in a shooting at a public event at a grocery store in Tucson, according to her spokesman, C. J. Karamargin, and news reports. Twelve others were injured in the shooting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/us/politics/09giffords.html

Comments

• proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    even more reason to get the totse shelter up...haha. seriously, it's gonna get real soon.
  • edited January 2011
    proudclod9 wrote: »
    even more reason to get the totse shelter up...haha. seriously, it's gonna get real soon.

Fuck, we haven't had a shelter thread in the longest time.

Anyway, I hear she's actually alive at this point. Still though, she took one in the head at point blank. I'm pretty sure that it's only a matter of time.

EDIT: I'm really interested to learn about the motivation of the shooter.
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh shit...well at least some of the crazy fuckin' nutters of our world don't have Hinckley. It's just that most of em do I guess..
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    "He said that one of the staffers tackled the gunman and that he and others helped detain the suspect. The doctor described the gunman as a white male in his mid-20s with short hair and 'dressed in a shabby manner.'”

Goddamit, chester :facepalm:
  • LostInTheWoodsLostInTheWoods Regular
    edited January 2011
    Watching CNN live atm and the words "extended magazine" is used over and over again...

New "assault weapon" ban coming soon to a USA close to you?
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited January 2011
    Her family is blaming the tea party:facepalm:
  • edited January 2011
    Makes me wonder why I wasted my time voting for Kelly. Conference says she caught one THROUGH the brain and was talking with doctors before her surgery. Also a 9 year old girl apparently died. I'd expect better killin skillz from an Afghanistan vet.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    Obama wrote:
    I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their families in our prayers

'Michelle and I' you fucking retarded cunt.

The man really has no class.
  • edited January 2011
    angryonion wrote: »
    Her family is blaming the tea party:facepalm:

Videos and writings by the shooter seem to imply mental illness and serious delusions ("Government mind-control" through "grammar"), but there was definitely a political motive behind the shooting itself (Or at least choosing to kill that particular person).

EDIT: Also, his favorite books include The Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf. There's a lot of crazy shit posted by him on youtube. He sounds like he was pretty insane to begin with lol.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Fuck, we haven't had a shelter thread in the longest time.

Anyway, I hear she's actually alive at this point. Still though, she took one in the head at point blank. I'm pretty sure that it's only a matter of time.

EDIT: I'm really interested to learn about the motivation of the shooter.

Looks like they were pro immigrant. The federal judge who died was the one who allowed a huge lawsuit filed by illegals to go through.

*waits for libtards to demand stricter gun control:o
  • edited January 2011
    I dont see why you would need to kill a senator. Maybe thats why I dont kill senators
    "An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve. Acts and threats of violence against public officials have no place in our society. Our prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords, her staff, all who were injured, and their families. This is a sad day for our country," Boehner said.

Sounds like somebodys afraid for his life. /criesalittle
    edited January 2011
    Uw4RS.jpg

LOL thanks sarah palin
    edited January 2011
    Let's be honest these people deserved this. They betrayed our country by allowing a flood of illegal aliens in. This shooter did the right thing and deserves a fucking medal not arrest.
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited January 2011
    thats nuts
  • edited January 2011

Everybody's gettin' mad at his videos now.

EDIT: Well, this one, anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L1lsLU-kUw
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Uw4RS.jpg

LOL thanks sarah palin

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

This only confirms my political theory...
  • edited January 2011
    skyclaw441 wrote: »
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

This only confirms my political theory...

The guy was nuts, but he wouldn't have done this particular thing if not for all of the inflammatory rhetoric being put out there.

I wish that the right-wing, anti-government would get together and rebel already so that we and the Feds can rid ourselves of them, or at least a decent portion.
  • edited January 2011
    The guy was nuts, but he wouldn't have done this particular thing if not for all of the inflammatory rhetoric being put out there.

I wish that the right-wing, anti-government would get together and rebel already so that we and the Feds can rid ourselves of them, or at least a decent portion.

I think this dude just wanted to shot into a political rally, it just happened to be Giffords. The other local senator, Grijalva, is much more hated by the right here, and rightly so considering he called for a boycott of his own state.
    edited January 2011

:facepalm::facepalm: Already blaming the right wing completely forgetting that there have been plenty of left wing crazy people. Lee Harvey Oswald, The guy who took the discovery building hostage months ago. Sirhan Sirhan and there are more. Crazy people exist and sometimes they hit political targets. Dont go around blaming any particular party.
  • edited January 2011
    :facepalm::facepalm: Already blaming the right wing completely forgetting that there have been plenty of left wing crazy people. Lee Harvey Oswald, The guy who took the discovery building hostage months ago. Sirhan Sirhan and there are more. Crazy people exist and sometimes they hit political targets. Dont go around blaming any particular party.

ostrich_head_in_sand.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Seriously trying to politicize this so much is retarded. I hate the tea party as much as anyone but anyone who thinks he did this because Palin put some target signs on a map is stupid. Did you see this guys youtube channel? This was inevitable.
    edited January 2011
    Seriously trying to politicize this so much is retarded. I hate the tea party as much as anyone but anyone who thinks he did this because Palin put some target signs on a map is stupid. Did you see this guys youtube channel? This was inevitable.
    When I watch leftist shows like The Daily Show I don't see Jon Stewart telling people to buy ammo, guns and prepare for the apocalypse. I flip to Glenn Beck for 10 seconds and that's what he's saying. It's pretty obvious which side is spouting the crazy talk.
    edited January 2011
    When I watch leftist shows like The Daily Show I don't see Jon Stewart telling people to buy ammo, guns and prepare for the apocalypse. I flip to Glenn Beck for 10 seconds and that's what he's saying. It's pretty obvious which side is spouting the crazy talk.

Yeah but nobody shoots a congresswomen because Glenn Beck told them too. There are underlying causes and chances are he would have done something liker this anyway.
    edited January 2011
    Holy shit Check out the congresswomens youtube channel. She only subscribed too 2 channels. One of which was the shooters. Conspiracy? Why would she subscribe to his out of anyone elses.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/giffords2
    edited January 2011
    The guy had underlying mental issues. Trying to say X or Y political ideal caused him to kill is retarded. He would have killed anyway, politics only pointed him in the direction of who he should have killed.

With his ideas of a new language, it could have easily been a lecture hall full of English students.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, from what my mom and I have heard, he honestly sounded left wing. Only time will tell his true ideology and motives. At this point idfk what to make of it, except that its sad some of those people were killed because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ex. The nine year old girl
  • edited January 2011
    The list of books on his youtube channel leads me to believe he was relatively sane. The videos he actually posted on youtube imply otherwise. Im on the fence leaning towards suicidal tendancies, mixed with a powerful cocktail of politicized rhetoric and the training to kill mercilessly.

She sure did keep on living though :D
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, she is alive. It really goes to show that politicians do not have a lot between their ears.
  • edited January 2011
    Doctors say the bullet traveled the length of the left side of the Arizona congresswoman's brain, entering the back of the skull and exiting the front, above the left eye socket.

Shit.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    The guy sure fucked up. They're going to use this as an excuse to tighten gun laws and he didn't even successfuly take out his target!
  • edited January 2011
    ILTST9 wrote: »
    The guy sure fucked up. They're going to use this as an excuse to tighten gun laws and he didn't even successfuly take out his target!

Banning extended magazines will make us safe! lol
    edited January 2011
    Banning extended magazines will make us safe! lol
    It will actually :o
  • edited January 2011
    Safe from those last 10 bullets maybe. Seems excessive. Why not ban Hk-417s first?

Anybody hear about the letter they found in his house? They say he wasnt acting alone....
    edited January 2011
    It will actually :o

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
    edited January 2011
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
    You realize that then shooters won't get off so many shots? 11 instead of 20. Maybe that 9 year old would still be alive. :o:o:o:o:o:o
    edited January 2011
    You realize that then shooters won't get off so many shots? 11 instead of 20. Maybe that 9 year old would still be alive. :o:o:o:o:o:o

I really hope you're kidding:facepalm: A gun is a gun and a skilled shooter can be lethal with just about anything. Even a bolt action could easily take out a lot of people. Reloading doesn't take that long especially when so many people will instinctively run from the gun rather than trying to stop the shooter.

The gun and clip size isn't whats dangerous. It's the shooter. Just look at Charles Whitman and Lee Harvey Oswald or Howard Unruh. They didn't have state of the art weapons with huge clips but they sure as hell did a better job than this most recent shooter. The idea that limiting clip size will help anything is beyond retarded.

In if someone there had a gun on them maybe this shooter wouldn't have gotten to far. There is a reason you never here about somebody going on a killing spree at a gun show.
    edited January 2011
    I really hope you're kidding:facepalm: A gun is a gun and a skilled shooter can be lethal with just about anything. Even a bolt action could easily take out a lot of people. Reloading doesn't take that long especially when so many people will instinctively run from the gun rather than trying to stop the shooter.

The gun and clip size isn't whats dangerous. It's the shooter. Just look at Charles Whitman and Lee Harvey Oswald or Howard Unruh. They didn't have state of the art weapons with huge clips but they sure as hell did a better job than this most recent shooter. The idea that limiting clip size will help anything is beyond retarded.

In if someone there had a gun on them maybe this shooter wouldn't have gotten to far. There is a reason you never here about somebody going on a killing spree at a gun show.
    Magazine. That is all.
    edited January 2011
    Magazine. That is all.

Ok my bad on that but you can't tell me that a magazine size counts for anything in a mass murder. Read up on the examples I provided in my previous post and you'll see what I mean.
    edited January 2011
    It does count. It makes it harder for shooters. Anything that handicaps them is win. If you can only shoot 3 bullets before reloading you will have a lot harder time killing people. You'd have to be badass at shooting, which means we decrease the odds that large numbers of people will be killed simply by making it harder for shooters to kill people. With 20 bullets even niggers can kill people.
    edited January 2011
    It does count. It makes it harder for shooters. Anything that handicaps them is win. If you can only shoot 3 bullets before reloading you will have a lot harder time killing people. You'd have to be badass at shooting, which means we decrease the odds that large numbers of people will be killed simply by making it harder for shooters to kill people. With 20 bullets even niggers can kill people.

So then why did Charles Whitman and Howard Unruh manage to kill more in a shorter time than most modern day killers with low capacity weapons? Why was Oswald able to get off 3 shots including a head shot in less than 6 seconds but the idiots at columbine only killed 13 between 2 of them or that guy at the florida school board who killed nobody?

I can think of plenty of examples of people murdering more with inferior weapons to people who had modern better ones with large magazine capacities. If you really think capacity is more of a factor than shot placement my guess is you know every little about guns.
    edited January 2011
    cause people who are skilled are win
    edited January 2011
    cause people who are skilled are win

So you agree that skill is more important than the gun? If that's the case should we ban skill?
    edited January 2011
    So you agree that skill is more important than the gun? If that's the case should we ban skill?
    obviously
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    If you gave a skilled person a gun with a large magazine they'd probably kill a lot more people than if they had a smaller magazine. It's pretty simple to understand :o
    edited January 2011
    In fact this bitch from congress is lucky he used a pistol. If he had used even a old rifle and just got to a vantage point farther away she wouldn't have survived the headshot.
    edited January 2011
    You're right. Good thing he was stupid.
    edited January 2011
    You're right. Good thing he was stupid.

So than you agree that your argument against extended magazines is wrong?
    edited January 2011
    How is it wrong? It limits both skilled and unskilled people.