Dating outside your religion

fanglekaifanglekai Regular
edited July 2010 in Life
How do you feel about dating someone of a different religion? If you're non-religious, how do you deal with religious people? Does religious conflict hurt your relationships? Can you compromise? Discuss.

Comments

• AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't have a problem as long as they don't push their beliefs on me.

I'll respect their beliefs though.
  • Death SnuggleDeath Snuggle Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    It just depend on how much either of you value your religious beliefs if any at all.

I don't give a fuck about religion and it usually makes it difficult to be with anyone of any major religion for too long.

The respect is there but I can't take them serious.
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    It just depend on how much either of you value your religious beliefs if any at all.

I don't give a fuck about religion and it usually makes it difficult to be with anyone of any major religion for too long.

The respect is there but I can't take them serious.

Taking them serious would definitely be my problem. I mean, it's almost entirely a direct measure of your intellect.

The more you believe, the stupider you be, the easier you put out...

Fuck, I think I've been going about this wrong...
  • MorningsideMorningside Regular
    edited July 2010
    I was with a girl who was "spiritually confused" I guess you could say. She couldn't decide whether she wanted to be a christian or not. I told her I would break up with her if she was a christian, but then I just ended up dumping her because she slept with her boss.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm not religious, and it's caused me some problems over the years. Some girls will be all into me then find out I'm not christian and they'll immediately lose interest. It's annoying, but I guess it works out. The other kind that's annoying is the ones who want to save me from hell. For the most part religion seems to be a big deal to a lot of girls where I live. I really prefer to date atheists/agnostics because I think they have a more mature view of the world, sexuality and I get along better with them.
  • BitterConflictBitterConflict Regular
    edited July 2010
    Since I'm Christian, I want my wife to be Christian as well. Don't get me wrong, I hate it how people shove religion down other people's throats. I guess it's how I feel. I want to enjoy the after-life with my waifu, but shit girls view religion way different from guys. The girls that were attracted to me believed in another religion. They were extremely passive about religion. It bothers me because these type of girls are either whores or lived at the moment. They didn't think well into their future.
    edited July 2010
    waifu

Enjoy your virginity.
  • BitterConflictBitterConflict Regular
    edited July 2010
    Enjoy your virginity.
    Alright you got me. lol :o
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm agnostic, but I respect other's religions as long as they dont force it on me. If they do, they're in for a philosophical pounding.
  • MasterMaster Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I don't mind Christian women, because I can use the bible against the hard cores, and the moderates don't seem to care I'm an atheist. I have no respect for religions at all, but they work great for controlling people, since that was the purpose of their design. It's pretty awesome when you can turn disrespect or disobedience of your wife and kids into not obeying the lord. "Would God appreciate that woman!?" Luls.
  • Jolt890Jolt890 Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I think that my s/o can believe whatever they want, if that's what makes them comfortable, fine.

But shit would probably end if they decided to impose their views on me.

Shit doesn't fly with the toilet seat placement, let alone who I pray to.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Regular
    edited July 2010
    Enjoy your virginity.

And Japanese blowup dolls. :o
    edited July 2010
    Anonymous wrote: »
    And Japanese blowup dolls. :o

Like I said, virginity.
  • street carpstreet carp Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I'm a practicing catholic and I've learned from experience that it's just easier to date/have a relationship with catholic girls. Went out with a few atheists in the past and they all claimed it didn't matter that I was religious and it wouldn't be a big deal yet they all took the piss when I went to church (alone) on sunday morning. It's not like I even asked them or expected them to join me.

Just an absent minded lie though really isn't it? She says it doesn't matter that I'm religious and then criticises my faith at the nearest juncture without even realising that she basically broke a promise. I don't blame any of the women that did that though, western society is becoming increasingly more atheist which is leading to a mainstream of lazy atheists who rather than seek to disprove religion and defend their own opinions as most religious people will, just laugh at religion and dismiss it out of hand as not being a valid lifestyle choice.
  • TruthWielderTruthWielder Regular
    edited July 2010
    Being a Christian is a strange thing. Yes, I'd like to date a chick thats christian as well, the more pious the better. It warms my heart to know my girl is close to God. Yet, I think its better that I care more about her morality and heart rather than what label she subscribes to. Human definitions and categorizations mean little in terms of the spiritual, in my opinion. We must glean the wisdom we can from the bible, not treat its punctuation and periods like unconquerable facts of existence.
    edited July 2010
    We must glean the wisdom we can from the bible, not treat its punctuation and periods like unconquerable facts of existence.

If only all christians were like this...
  • Big baby jesusBig baby jesus Regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't really wanna get dismembered or disemboweled by an angry Muslim father but I still find devout girls the most sexy.
  • Tommy LundTommy Lund Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I have dated athehist, agnostic, christian and muslim.

As long as we make an understanding early on not to talk about it and respect eachothers belifes..

Sounds dumb, but it has worked so far.

I would belive a christian/muslim mix would be quite difficult.
    edited July 2010
    Tommy Lund wrote: »
    I have dated athehist, agnostic, christian and muslim.

As long as we make an understanding early on not to talk about it and respect eachothers belifes..

Sounds dumb, but it has worked so far.

I would belive a christian/muslim mix would be quite difficult.

I would most definitely invade her holy land. I don't know how long she could defend it from me.
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    i would most definitely invade her holy land. I don't know how long she could defend it from me.

lolercaust!!!!
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited July 2010
    Anonymous wrote: »
    I don't have a problem as long as they don't push their beliefs on me.

I'll respect their beliefs though.

Pretty much this. One of the things that destroyed my first relationship was that she was christian, and kept pushing for me to go to church with her.

I finally did, just to make her happy. I've never been so weirded out or scared by people in my life...

I guess our church has something called 'The Gathering" every so often, where there's free food and shit for middle/highschool kids, to get them in there. Then they start talking about their god..erg...felt like I was in a cult gathering for a bit...
  • Brock SamsonBrock Samson Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm atheist, the only problem I have dating religious girls is that they sometimes use it as an excuse not to put out.
  • MasterMaster Acolyte
    edited July 2010

I don't blame any of the women that did that though, western society is becoming increasingly more atheist which is leading to a mainstream of lazy atheists who rather than seek to disprove religion and defend their own opinions as most religious people will, just laugh at religion and dismiss it out of hand as not being a valid lifestyle choice.

You only say this because you don't understand atheism. Religious people can't understand the position of an atheist, as one would have to be an atheist to do so. When it comes to atheism, there is nothing to defend, and nothing to disprove. God is faith based, not based in any evidence at all. There is no onus on us to disprove something unproven. We don't have to defend anything, cause we don't believe in anything, and nobody has anything to prove atheists wrong, other than their opinion. All atheists dismiss religions as a valid choice, because your choice is backed by nothing. They aren't being lazy at all, cause not believing requires no effort, and no defense.

It reminds me of a bumper sticker some bible thumper had on the back of his car. It said," God doesn't believe in Atheists." I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a knock at Atheists, cause most Atheists would agree. If we don't think God exists, then we're right on board that a non-existent God doesn't believe in us. It's not insulting or antagonizing in the least. The only way it would be seen as an insult, is if you believe in God. This is the whole reason why Atheists think religious people are retarded; because without already believing in God, you're not going to believe a single word of the Bible as fact. It's just a story book to us. When I pick it up, God is just a character in the book, nothing more. The whole faith is ridiculous to us.
  • Dr. AwkwardDr. Awkward Regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm an atheist and I've never really had problems dating religious people. Two girls started out christian and were agnostic by the time we were through lol.
  • Dog BoyDog Boy Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    I'm an athiest, I dont think I could date a religious girl, if they put out it means they dont respect there own moral code, and fuck going out with someone who doesn't put out.
    Also, I dont seem to meet many religious girls I'm interested in.
    I guess religious females aren't all that common in the NZ punk scene.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2010
    If it has tits, 2 legs & a cunt, it's all good.
  • wasjoshwasjosh Regular
    edited July 2010
    bornkiller wrote: »
    If it has tits, 2 legs & a cunt, it's all good.

I'm curious enough to ask, even with that striped-down criteria, what could you lose and keep banging? Ex: 1 tit, 1 leg, hysterectomy...
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited July 2010
    wasjosh wrote: »
    I'm curious enough to ask, even with that striped-down criteria, what could you lose and keep banging? Ex: 1 tit, 1 leg, hysterectomy...

I think the bare minimum would be a cunt :p
    edited July 2010
    13579 wrote: »

I guess our church has something called 'The Gathering" every so often, where there's free food and shit for middle/highschool kids, to get them in there. Then they start talking about their god..erg...felt like I was in a cult gathering for a bit...

Was it, by chance, prefaced by MAGIC.....as in, "Magic: The Gathering"? That would have made a lot more sense.
    edited July 2010
    Master wrote: »
    You only say this because you don't understand atheism. Religious people can't understand the position of an atheist, as one would have to be an atheist to do so. When it comes to atheism, there is nothing to defend, and nothing to disprove. God is faith based, not based in any evidence at all. There is no onus on us to disprove something unproven. We don't have to defend anything, cause we don't believe in anything, and nobody has anything to prove atheists wrong, other than their opinion. All atheists dismiss religions as a valid choice, because your choice is backed by nothing. They aren't being lazy at all, cause not believing requires no effort, and no defense.

It reminds me of a bumper sticker some bible thumper had on the back of his car. It said," God doesn't believe in Atheists." I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be a knock at Atheists, cause most Atheists would agree. If we don't think God exists, then we're right on board that a non-existent God doesn't believe in us. It's not insulting or antagonizing in the least. The only way it would be seen as an insult, is if you believe in God. This is the whole reason why Atheists think religious people are retarded; because without already believing in God, you're not going to believe a single word of the Bible as fact. It's just a story book to us. When I pick it up, God is just a character in the book, nothing more. The whole faith is ridiculous to us.

Circular reasoning!

I have to agree with this, though. Religious people almost never understand what atheism actually entails. There is no defense, no evidence. There is simply a lack of belief.

The most fascinating thing about religious people and the bible is that they will believe the bible because it says it's true, but they won't believe in Don Quijote, Tristram Shandy, Lolita or any other book that has a narrator that says: "This is a true story." It's hilarious for me to think that people will believe in a book that says it's true, yet not believe in other books that say they're true. Circular reasoning shows why: if you don't believe in what the book says, you won't believe the character (the narrator in Don Quijote, for example) telling you that it's a true history. If you believe in God already, you'll believe in the Bible (also because it has such strong roots in society).
  • MasterMaster Acolyte
    edited July 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    Circular reasoning!

I have to agree with this, though. Religious people almost never understand what atheism actually entails. There is no defense, no evidence. There is simply a lack of belief.

The most fascinating thing about religious people and the bible is that they will believe the bible because it says it's true, but they won't believe in Don Quijote, Tristram Shandy, Lolita or any other book that has a narrator that says: "This is a true story." It's hilarious for me to think that people will believe in a book that says it's true, yet not believe in other books that say they're true. Circular reasoning shows why: if you don't believe in what the book says, you won't believe the character (the narrator in Don Quijote, for example) telling you that it's a true history. If you believe in God already, you'll believe in the Bible (also because it has such strong roots in society).

Where it really takes an interesting turn, is when you start exploring how a belief was formed in the mind before the knowledge to support it existed. That's brainwashing. Just like the mindless idiots who tell you that smoking causes cancer; but when you ask what study they could cite that proves these findings, the majority will bring nothing to the table. People are pretty simple, and as long as something comes from a source that is deemed credible by the mind, the belief is readily adopted into their view of reality, whether it's fact or fiction.
    edited July 2010
    Yep, appeal to authority is a common fallacy.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2010
    wasjosh wrote: »
    I wouldn't slap that ass off a four legged horse, now would I? A two legged horse would be a different story....that shits just hawt! (reason for the axe in the car:rolleyes:)
    edited July 2010
    Master wrote: »
    Where it really takes an interesting turn, is when you start exploring how a belief was formed in the mind before the knowledge to support it existed. That's brainwashing. Just like the mindless idiots who tell you that smoking causes cancer; but when you ask what study they could cite that proves these findings, the majority will bring nothing to the table.

Respectfully, there's plenty of data that smoking, or at the very least the substances in cigarette smoke, cause cancer. American Heart Association statistics are somewhat credible.

People are pretty simple, and as long as something comes from a source that is deemed credible by the mind, the belief is readily adopted into their view of reality, whether it's fact or fiction.

I find this portion of your post interesting. You're right, once a thought that could become a belief goes into your mind (such as Burmese ninja clowns will assault Bangkok while riding Alpacas next July) there it remains, forever subject to your skepticism and affirmation, even if it has no logical basis. Though this might be a little different from what you said since you highlighted the importance of credibility I would say that critical reasoning is not the only basis for credibility in the minds of most people. The onus of proof, as you said, is on us to give valid reasoning for our beliefs. How can this happen with God?

With nods to Spinoza I say: a variety of ways. People describe their spiritual experiences as being "beyond reason". Still others suggest that faith in God is a naturally human intuitive characteristic that science has only yet to justify.

First try to remove your assumptions of what you understand God to be, since Christian theologians themselves wonder aloud. No old guy in a toga sort of stuff. Lets grant that he is foremost transcendental; that is, he is above the lines and boundaries of our immediate perception due to his inimitable nature. As such we find no direct means of comparison to God (Hot vs Cold) only microcosmic manifestations of the transcendent (Virtue, Goodness, Conscience, meditation, numinous experience, etc.) that appear within ourselves. Also, we sometimes observe nature and sense a quality beyond the sensory-an aesthetic if you will-that takes us to a more holistic sense of appreciation. The poet John Dunne said that "No man is an Island". For me, I see the law of conservation of energy indicative of a metaphysical representation of this. Next, the Universe itself, boundless in scope, is extension and aspect of God as nothing can be removed from him.

Now, the university itself must be caused. Beginning and sequence have occurred since the Big bang, and we cannot presume this erupted out of nothing. Indeed, there is no such thing as a functional "nothingness". Rather what about the myriad of potentialities that extend in all unlimited directions through space and time, manifesting every possibility in the every world from the quantum to the galactic? (Infinite time = infinite possibilities, though I could be missing something here).

There, then, must be something that is then self-caused and with infinite attributes to initiate the existence of such limiteless possibility. I call this God and our universe a part of him. Plus every universe inside every man, and you get freedom and perception to the nth degree. Only God could be truly free, of course, if you define ultimate freedom as "existing independently, solely from the necessity of your own nature and determined by action to itself alone". I see the big bang and see the only truly free being in existence reflecting on itself. Granted, I don't mean to suggest the absence of free will, but that's another conversation.

It seems to me, through my prayer, faith, and experience that on some level I can commune with God. This doesn't mean have tea or play video games with, but when I surpass that bare biological makeup of my senses and pain through humility and self awareness, and through faith reach out to something higher, I feel my metaphysical "hand" find another open hand that is both indescribable and wholly...well...holy lol.

Sorry if this is just a whole bunch of rambling retardation.